I'm interested in galaxies. In particular their formation, and when galaxies form they tend to emit lots and lots of a certain kind of UV light called Lyman α. Since the exact shape and strength of this spectral line is dictated by various physical processes in the interstellar (and intergalactic) medium, we can learn a lot about the physical conditions of young galaxies from Lyman α.
However, all these processes also make interpretation of Lyman α very difficult, so I model the radiative transfer of Lyman α numerically, both in hydrodynamically simulated galaxies and in more simple model galaxies (using Monte Carlo-based ray-tracing with adaptive mesh refinement).
Higher education and employment history
- 2015-2016: Sysadmin at Dark Cosmology Centre (DARK), University of Copenhagen
- 2012-2015: Postdoc at DARK
- 2010-2012: Postdoc at University of Stockholm
- 2007-2010: PhD student at DARK
- Laursen, Duval, & Östlin 2013, ApJ, 766, 124: "On the (Non-)Enhancement of the Lyα Equivalent Width by a Multiphase Interstellar Medium"
- Laursen, Sommer-Larsen, & Razoumov 2011, ApJ, 728, 52: "Intergalactic Transmission and Its Impact on the Lyα Line"
- Laursen, Sommer-Larsen, & Andersen 2009, ApJ, 704, 1640: "Lyα Radiative Transfer with Dust: Escape Fractions from Simulated High-Redshift Galaxies"
- Bridge, Joanna S.; Hayes, Matthew; Melinder, Jens; Östlin, Göran; Gronwall, Caryl; Ciardullo, Robin; Atek, Hakim; Cannon, John M.; Gronke, Max Balthasar; Guaita, Lucia; Hagen, Alex; Herenz, Edmund Christian; Kunth, Daniel; Laursen, Peter; Mas-Hesse, J. Miguel & Pardy, Stephen A. (2017). The Lyα Reference Sample. VIII. Characterizing Lyα Scattering in Nearby Galaxies. Astrophysical Journal. ISSN 0004-637X. 852(1) . doi: 10.3847/1538-4357/aa9932 Fulltekst i vitenarkiv.
- Laursen, Peter (2017). Chasing Lyman α emitters at z = 8.8 with UltraVISTA.
- Laursen, Peter (2017). Modeling UltraVISTA observations of Lyman α emitters at z = 8.8.