I am a scientist interested in bioinformatics, microbial genomics and evolution. I obtained my doctoral degree in 2008. I was involved in several international projects. First, to understand the driven forces that shape the genome diversity of the tubercle bacilli, Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Second, to trace back the evolutionary history of outbreak clones with particular interest to multidrug resistance ones and third, to combine different omics data for tuberculosis drug discovery.
Since October 2016, I joined the Medplag (The medieval plagues: ecology, transmission modalities and routes of the infections) group at the Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis. I will analyse genomic and metagenomics data from modern and ancient DNA samples of Yersinia pestis, the causative agent of plague. By combining genomics and phylogenomics, my main objective will be to reconstruct the evolutionary history of the Yersinia pestis isolates whose ancient DNAs were recovered from different archaeological sites through Europe.
- Beyene, Getachew Tesfaye; Balasingham, Seetha; Frye, Stephan Alfons; Namouchi, Amine; Homberset, Håvard; Kalayou, Shewit; Riaz, Tahira & Tonjum, Tone (2016). Characterization of the Neisseria meningitidis Helicase RecG. PLoS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 11(10) . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0164588
- Meftahi, Nedra; Namouchi, Amine; Mhenni, Besma; Brandis, Gerrit; Hughes, Diarmaid & Mardassi, Helmi (2016). Evidence for the critical role of a secondary site rpoB mutation in the compensatory evolution and successful transmission of an MDR tuberculosis outbreak strain. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. ISSN 0305-7453. 71(2), s 324- 332 . doi: 10.1093/jac/dkv345
- Namouchi, Amine; Gomez Munoz, Marta; Frye, Stephan Alfons; Moen, Line Victoria; Rognes, Torbjørn; Tonjum, Tone & Balasingham, Seetha (2016). The Mycobacterium tuberculosis transcriptional landscape under genotoxic stress. BMC Genomics. ISSN 1471-2164. 17 . doi: 10.1186/s12864-016-3132-1
- Yimer, Solomon Abebe; Namouchi, Amine; Zegeye, Ephrem Debebe; Holm-Hansen, Carol J C; Norheim, Gunnstein; Abebe, Markos; Aseffa, Abraham & Tonjum, Tone (2016). Deciphering the recent phylogenetic expansion of the originally deeply rooted Mycobacterium tuberculosis lineage 7 . BMC Evolutionary Biology. ISSN 1471-2148. 16 . doi: 10.1186/s12862-016-0715-z Full text in Research Archive
- Thabet, Sara; Namouchi, Amine & Mardassi, Helmi (2015). Evolutionary trends of the transposase-encoding open reading frames A and B (orfA and orfB) of the mycobacterial IS6110 insertion sequence. PLoS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 10:e0130161(6) . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0130161
- Yimer, Solomon Abebe; Norheim, Gunnstein; Namouchi, Amine; Zegeye, Ephrem Debebe; Kinander, Wibeke; Tonjum, Tone; Bekele, Shiferaw; Mannsåker, Turid; Bjune, Gunnar Aksel; Aseffa, Abraham & Holm-Hansen, Carol J C (2015). Mycobacterium tuberculosis lineage 7 strains are associated with prolonged patient delay in seeking treatment for pulmonary tuberculosis in Amhara region, Ethiopia . Journal of Clinical Microbiology. ISSN 0095-1137. 53(4), s 1301- 1309 . doi: 10.1128/JCM.03566-14
- Frye, Stephan Alfons; Balasingham, Seetha; Beyene, Getachew Tesfaye; Homberset, Håvard; Namouchi, Amine & Tonjum, Tone (2016). Meningococcal DNA binding and unwinding proteins.
- Gomez Munoz, Marta; Namouchi, Amine; Balasingham, Seetha & Tonjum, Tone (2016). Identifiying ncRNAs expressed under genotoxic stress and dormancy in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Namouchi, Amine (2015). Mycobacterium tuberculosis in the era of next generation sequencing.
- Namouchi, Amine; Gómez-Muñoz, Marta; Debebe, Ephrem; Frye, Stephan Alfons; Tonjum, Tone & Balasingham, Seetha (2015). Global transcriptional responses to genotoxic stress in Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Tonjum, Tone; Balasingham, Seetha; Namouchi, Amine & Yimer, Solomon Abebe (2015). Recent evolution in Mycobacterium tuberculosis: Genome dynamics, small RNAs and vesicles.
- Tonjum, Tone; Balasingham, Seetha; Yimer, Solomon Abebe & Namouchi, Amine (2015). Outbreak of tuberculosis in a Norwegian dance academy delineated by whole genome sequencing and high end mass spectrometry.
- Yimer, Solomon Abebe; Namouchi, Amine; Riaz, Tahira; Zegeye, Ephrem Debebe; Godana, Alemayehu; Holm-Hansen, Carol J C; Norheim, Gunnstein; Aseffa, Abraham & Tonjum, Tone (2015). Genomic and proteomic analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis lineage 7 strains from Ethiopia. Oral presentation at the 46th Union World Conference on Lung Health Cape Town, South Africa: 2 December - 6 December 2015.
- Yimer, Solomon Abebe; Norheim, Gunnstein; Namouchi, Amine; Zegeye, Ephrem Debebe; Kinander, Wibeke; Tonjum, Tone; Mannsåker, Turid; Bjune, Gunnar Aksel & Holm-Hansen, Carol J C (2015). Lineage 7 Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains are associated with longer patient delay in pulmonary TB patients.