Having started at CEES in its infancy many years ago, I proceeded to get some research experience and a PhD in the fine land of Finland under Hanna Kokko’s supervision. There I adopted the fine arts of matlab-geeking, theoretical model construction and general scepticism to all things possible. After graduating in Helsinki (or actually just before) I was employed by Norwegian Institute for Water Research, where I spent the last three-four years diving deep into the Bayesian world of model calibration and parameter estimation! Finally I could use models to make predictions that could actually be held up against measurements, as opposed to just playing around with mathematical assumptions with a slight twist of biological realism to see where they would take me. Here at CEES I’ll be trying hard to apply my profound wisdom of both the evolutionary and the methodological under the auspices of Lee Hsiang Liow, who will surely guide me far into the fossil jungle.
- Starrfelt, Jostein & Liow, Lee Hsiang (2016). How many dinosaur species were there? Fossil bias and true richness estimated using a Poisson sampling model. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. ISSN 0962-8436. 371(1691), s 1- 10 . doi: 10.1098/rstb.2015.0219
- Jackson-Blake, Leah A. & Starrfelt, Jostein (2015). Do higher data frequency and Bayesian auto-calibration lead to better model calibration? Insights from an application of INCA-P, a process-based river phosphorus model. Journal of Hydrology. ISSN 0022-1694. 527, s 641- 655 . doi: 10.1016/j.jhydrol.2015.05.001
- Starrfelt, Jostein & Saloranta, Tuomo (2015). Simulating the uncertain effect of active carbon capping of a dioxin-polluted Norwegian Fjord. Integrated Environmental Assessment and Management. ISSN 1551-3793. 11(3), s 481- 489 . doi: 10.1002/ieam.1617
- Zheng, Qian; Nizzetto, Luca; Liu, Xiang; Borgå, Katrine; Starrfelt, Jostein; Li, Jun; Jiang, Yishan; Liu, Xin; Jones, Kevin C. & Zhang, Gan (2015). Elevated mobility of persistent organic pollutants in the soil of a tropical rainforest. Environmental Science and Technology. ISSN 0013-936X. 49(7), s 4302- 4309 . doi: 10.1021/es5058677
- Karl, Matthias; Castell, Nuria; Simpson, David; Solberg, Sverre; Starrfelt, Jostein; Svendby, Tove Marit; Walker, Sam-Erik & Wright, Richard Frederic (2014). Uncertainties in assessing the environmental impact of amine emissions from a CO2 capture plant . Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. ISSN 1680-7316. 14(16), s 8533- 8557 . doi: 10.5194/acp-14-8533-2014 Full text in Research Archive
- Couture, Raoul-Marie; Tominaga, Koji; Starrfelt, Jostein; Moe, S. Jannicke; Kaste, Øyvind & Wright, Richard Frederic (2014). Modelling phosphorus loading and algal blooms in a Nordic agricultural catchment-lake system under changing land-use and climate . Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. ISSN 2050-7887. 16(7), s 1588- 1599 . doi: 10.1039/c3em00630a Full text in Research Archive
- Starrfelt, Jostein & Kaste, Øyvind (2014). Bayesian uncertainty assessment of a semi-distributed integrated catchment model of phosphorus transport. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts. ISSN 2050-7887. 16(7), s 1578- 1587 . doi: 10.1039/c3em00619k
- Starrfelt, Jostein; Borgå, Katrine; Ruus, Anders & Fjeld, Eirik (2013). Estimating trophic levels and trophic magnification factors using Bayesian inference. Environmental Science and Technology. ISSN 0013-936X. 47(20), s 11599- 11606 . doi: 10.1021/es401231e
- Starrfelt, Jostein & Kokko, Hanna (2012). Bet-hedging - a triple trade-off between means, variances and correlations. Biological Reviews. ISSN 1464-7931. 87(3), s 742- 755 . doi: 10.1111/j.1469-185X.2012.00225.x
- Meier, Christoph M.; Starrfelt, Jostein & Kokko, Hanna (2011). Mate limitation causes sexes to coevolve towards more similar dispersal kernels. Oikos. ISSN 0030-1299. 120(10), s 1459- 1468 . doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0706.2011.19487.x
- Starrfelt, Jostein (2011). Intragenomic bet-hedging. Genetica. ISSN 0016-6707. 139(8), s 1019- 1021 . doi: 10.1007/s10709-011-9603-z
- Starrfelt, Jostein (2015). TRiPS, SQS, ACE and Chaos; evaluating the accuracy and precision of species richness estimators in paleobiology.
- Starrfelt, Jostein & Liow, Lee Hsiang (2015). INFERRING TRUE NUMBER OF DINOSAUR SPECIES BY ESTIMATING FOSSIL SAMPLING PROBABILITIES.