My research falls at the intersection of ecology and fisheries science. I am particularly interested in understanding how fish and their ecosystems are affected by exploitation and changes in climate, and in determining which features of populations, communities and ecosystems make them resilient to increasing human pressures. Much of my work has involved the analysis of historical (and paleo) time-series to draw inferences about past patterns of variation in populations, and I apply a wide range of statistical modeling tools in my research.
I particularly enjoy research that is grounded in basic ecology but which has direct connections to applied topics in marine conservation. Currently I am studying how climate and intrinsic population processes interact to shape the dynamics of coastal Atlantic cod stocks. Further research is focused on compiling diverse types of data to draw inferences about the relevant scales of spatial population structuring in marine fishes for both ecology and management.
Rogers, L.A., D.E. Schindler, P.J. Lisi, G.W. Holtgrieve, P.R. Leavitt, L. Bunting, et al. 2013. Centennial-scale fluctuations and regional complexity characterize Pacific salmon population dynamics over the past five centuries. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 110:1750-1755.
Holtgrieve, G.W., D.E. Schindler, W.O. Hobbs, P.R. Leavitt, E.J. Ward, L. Bunting, G. Chen, B.P. Finney, I. Gregory-Eaves, S. Holmgren, M.J. Lisac, P.J. Lisi, K. Nydick, L.A. Rogers, J.E. Saros, D.T. Selbie, M.D. Shapley, P.B. Walsh, and A.P. Wolfe. 2011. A coherent signature of anthropogenic nitrogen deposition to remote watersheds of the Northern Hemisphere. Science 334:1545-1548.
Rogers, L.A. and D.E. Schindler. 2011. Scale and the detection of climatic influences on the productivity of salmon populations. Global Change Biology 17:2546-2558.
Rogers, L.A., L.C. Stige, E.M. Olsen, H. Knutsen, K.-S. Chan and N.C. Stenseth. 2011. Climate and population density drive changes in cod body size throughout a century on the Norwegian coast. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 108:1961-1966.
Schindler, D.E., R. Hilborn, B. Chasco, C.P. Boatright, T.P. Quinn, L.A. Rogers and M.S. Webster. 2010. Population diversity and the portfolio effect in an exploited species. Nature 465:609-612.
Moore, J.W., M. McClure, L.A. Rogers and D.E. Schindler. 2010. Synchronization and portfolio performance of threatened salmon. Conservation Letters 5:340-348.
Schindler, D.E. and L.A. Rogers. 2009. Responses of Pacific salmon populations to climate variation in freshwater ecosystems. Pages 1127 – 1142 in C.C. Krueger and C.E. Zimmerman, editors. Pacific salmon: ecology and management of western Alaska's populations. Symposium 70. American Fisheries Society, Bethesda, Maryland, USA.
Rogers, L.A. and D.E. Schindler. 2008. Asynchrony in population dynamics of sockeye salmon in southwest Alaska. Oikos 117:1578-1586.
- Rogers, Lauren; Schindler, Daniel E.; Lisi, Peter J.; Holtgrieve, Gordon W.; Leavitt, Peter R.; Bunting, Lynda; Finney, Bruce P.; Selbie, Daniel T.; Chen, Guangjie; Gregory-Eaves, I; Lisac, Mark J. & Walsh, Patrick B. (2013). Centennial-scale fluctuations and regional complexity characterize Pacific salmon population dynamics over the past five centuries. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 110(5), s 1750- 1755 . doi: 10.1073/pnas.1212858110
- Rogers, Lauren & Schindler, Daniel E. (2011). Scale and the detection of climatic influences on the productivity of salmon populations. Global Change Biology. ISSN 1354-1013. 17(8), s 2546- 2558 . doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2486.2011.02415.x
- Rogers, Lauren; Stige, Leif Christian; Olsen, Esben Moland; Knutsen, Halvor; Chan, Kung-Sik & Stenseth, Nils Christian (2011). Climate and population density drive changes in cod body size throughout a century on the Norwegian coast. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 108(5), s 1961- 1966 . doi: 10.1073/pnas.1010314108
- Rogers, Lauren (2012). Climate and population density drive changes in cod body size.
- Rogers, Lauren (2012). Linking climate variability to Atlantic cod population dynamics along the Norwegian Skagerrak coast.
- Rogers, Lauren (2011, 18. januar). Warming Waters Further Imperil Atlantic Cod . [Internett]. Scientific American.
- Rogers, Lauren (2011). Inter-decadal and centennial variability in Pacific salmon abundance over 500 years.