Recognition of External and Foreign Education
If you have a residence permit in Norway and have applied for admission to a Master’s degree programme at the University of Oslo and have former education from a foreign higher education institution, or if you are already a student at the university and want to include former foreign education in your degree, you must get your former education assessed. Please note that international master's applicants who reside outside Norway should not normally apply for recognition of foreign education.
We must ask you to use the official application form which you can obtain by downloading it and printing it out yourself.
- Current students at the University of Oslo who wants to get their former education recognized should use the Registration of courses from former education form (pdf) .
- Applicants to the Master’s degree programmes should use the Application for recognition of foreign education form (pdf).
You can also contact MN Student Information to collect a form or have it sent to you.
Please note that an academic assessment is not an application for admission to study, but is performed in addition. If you only need general recognition of foreign education in Norway, please apply to The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education - NOKUT .
It is necessary to provide good and detailed documentary evidence of the education you wish to have assessed. Applications that are not satisfactorily supported by documentary evidence will not be considered. The following documentary evidence must be enclosed with the application:
- Certified copies of transcript of marks or grades and diploma, both in the original language and in English or Norwegian, must be submitted. Translations have to be acknowledged by an autorised translator. Please note that applicants with former education from Cameroon, China, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sudan and USA must provide transcripts sent directly to us by the issuing institution. We accept Pakistani transcripts and diplomas if they are certified by HEC. Certified copies must bear a “true copy” stamp which is legible, dated and signed by a public office or institution.The transcripts should show examination marks/grades in the individual courses, the scope of the courses and when the examinations were taken. If the educational institution does not have a system of credits in which 60 ECTS credits correspond to one year of full-time study, information must be enclosed from the place of study indicating how great a proportion of a full year of study the different subjects constitute. If you have not received a final diploma, a temporary transcript must be enclosed with the application. Please consult the country list for country spesific documentation requirements.
- Course descriptions of all relevant courses in your previous education showing the scope, content, prescribed books, amount of teaching etc. with respect to those courses that may give rise to exemptions. The course names and codes on the transcript must match the course descriptions and not come from previous curricula. The descriptions should be submitted in English or in Norwegian, but translations does not have to be provided by an authorized translator.
- for students/applicants who do not have Norwegian citizenship
At present, UiO cannot recognize education from Afghanistan, Iraq, The Democratic Republic Congo, Liberia, Sierre Leone and Somalia because education documents cannot be verified. Applicants with education from these countries, or others who cannot obtain verified documents, must contact NOKUT.
Deadline for Applying for Academic Assessment
- Applicants to the Master’s degree programmes: 15 April for the autumn semester/ 15 October for the spring semester
- Applicants to single course studies: 1 June for the autumn semester/ 1 December for the spring semester