- Fluid Mechanics and flow in porous media;
- Fracture dynamics in brittle solids;
- Laminar flow systems and hydrodynamic instabilities;
- 2D vortex dynamics in classical flows.
I am currently performing experiments on topics 1, 2 and 3.
Higher education and employment history
I have got both B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Physics from the Federal University of Pernambuco, Brazil. I have received my PhD degree in Physics from the University of Oslo, Norway. I have a theoretical background in Fluid Mechanics (potential flow theory and flow in porous media). My Master's thesis entitled "Vortex motion around a circular cylinder both in an unbounded domain and near a plane boundary" can be found here and my PhD thesis entitled "Burst dynamics in quasi-2D disordered systems: experiments on porous media two-phase flows" can be found here. I am currently hired as a Postdoctoral Researcher at PoreLab, Department of Physics, University of Oslo. I am performing experiments on capillary flows in porous media and in the propagation of fractures in brittle solids.
Other scientific activities
I am the current Chair of the Students Affairs Committee (SAC) of InterPore, the International Society for Porous Media. The SAC aims at improving the international visibility and networking opportunities of students and early career scientists working in all fields related to porous media science and technology. I am also a board member of InterPore and the student liaison and communication officer of the Norwegian Chapter of the society (InterPore Norway). If you would like to set up a local student section of InterPore in your institution/country, please contact me and I can provide you with additional details.
The Gallery of Porous Media Art
I have recently started a Gallery of Porous Media Art, where researchers from my group and beyond can display some interesting images of their work. We welcome any contributions related to porous / granular media research.
M. Moura, K. J. Måløy, E. G. Flekkøy and R. Toussaint, “Verification of a dynamic scaling for the pair correlation function during the slow drainage of a porous medium,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 119, 154503 (2017).
M. Moura, K. J. Måløy, and R. Toussaint, “Critical behavior in porous media flow,” EPL (Europhysics Letters) 118, 14004 (2017).
"Impact of sample geometry on the measurement of pressure-saturation curves: Experiments and simulations,” Water Resour. Res., 51 (2015)., , , and ,
G. L. Vasconcelos, M. N. Moura, and A. M. J. Schakel, “Vortex motion around a circular cylinder,” Phys. Fluids 23, 123601 (2011).
G. L. Vasconcelos and M. Moura, “Vortex motion around a circular cylinder above a plane,” Phys. Fluids 29, 083603 (2017).
M. N. Moura, and G. L. Vasconcelos, “Four-vortex motion around a circular cylinder,” Phys. Fluids 25, 073601 (2013).
M. N. Moura, and G. L. Vasconcelos, "Vortex flow around a circular cylinder near a plane," Rev. Cub. Fis., 29, 1E42-1E44 (2012).
- Lopes Vasconcelos, Giovani & Moura, Marcel (2017). Vortex motion around a circular cylinder above a plane. Physics of fluids. ISSN 1070-6631. 29(8) . doi: 10.1063/1.4996241
- Moura, Marcel; Måløy, Knut Jørgen; Flekkøy, Eirik Grude & Toussaint, Renaud (2017). Verification of a Dynamic Scaling for the Pair Correlation Function during the Slow Drainage of a Porous Medium. Physical Review Letters. ISSN 0031-9007. 119(15) . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.119.154503
- Moura, Marcel; Måløy, Knut Jørgen & Toussaint, Renaud (2017). Critical behavior in porous media flow. Europhysics letters. ISSN 0295-5075. 118(1) . doi: 10.1209/0295-5075/118/14004
- Moura, Marcel; Fiorentino, Eve-Agnès; Schäfer, G.; Toussaint, R & Toussaint, Renaud (2015). Impact of sample geometry on the measurement of pressure-saturation curves: Experiments and simulations. Water Resources Research. ISSN 0043-1397. 51(11), s 8900- 8926 . doi: 10.1002/2015WR017196 Full text in Research Archive.
- Nascimento de Moura, Marcel & Lopes Vasconcelos, Giovani (2013). Four-vortex motion around a circular cylinder. Physics of fluids. ISSN 1070-6631. 25