Physics of Geological Processes (PGP)
PGP was a Norwegian Centre of Excellence (CoE) funded by the Research Council of Norway (NFR) from 2003-2013. From 2013, PGP operates as a cross-disciplinary research group that integrates physics and geology. PGP currently gathers scientists from both the Department of Geoscience (PGP group) and the Physics Department (Condensed Matter group) within the University of Oslo.
Torres del Paine Laccolith, Southern Chilean Patagonia - Photo: Olivier Galland
11 June 2018 - Congratulations to Joanna Dziadkowiec, who won third place at PhD Day's poster competition!
17 Apr 2018 - On April 27th, Jan Cornet will defend his PhD thesis on cavity closure in rock salt.
22 Mar 2018 - An article on rock failure by François Renard, Neelima Kandula, Benoit Cordonnier and collaborators has been featured in Eos.
26 Feb 2018 - Work by Håkon Austrheim and others on the influence of peridotite weathering on continental crust composition has been published in Nature Communications!
- Joanna Dziadkowiec, Shaghayegh Javadi, Jon Einar Bratvold, Ola Nilsen, and Anja Røyne. Surface Forces Apparatus measurements of interactions between rough and reactive calcite surfaces. Langmuir. Just Accepted Manuscript. DOI: 10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b00797
- Beinlich, A., Austrheim, H., Mavromatis, V., Grguric, B., Putnis, Ch. V., Putnis, A. Peridotite weathering is the missing ingredient of Earth’s continental crust composition. Nature Communications. Volume 9, Article number: 634.
- Pluymakers A.; Liu J.; Kohler F.; Renard F.; Dysthe D. A high resolution interferometric method to measure local swelling due to CO2 exposure in coal and shale. International Journal of Coal Geology. Volume 187, 15 February 2018, Pages 131-142.
- Tobias Schmiedel, Olivier Galland and C. Breitkreuz. 2017, Journal of Geophysical Research, Dynamics of Sill and Laccolith Emplacement in the Brittle Crust: Role of Host Rock Strength and Deformation Mode. DOI: 10.1002/2017JB014468.
- Øystein Thordén Haug, Olivier Galland, P. Souloumiac, Alban Souche, Frank Guldstrand and Tobias Schmiedel. 2017, The Geo. Society of America, Inelastic damage as a mechanical precursor for the emplacement of saucer-shaped intrusions. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1130/G39361.1.