10 point to consider when working with chemicals
Chemical and gases are used in allmost every lab at iBV. All use of chemical that is classified as hazardous must be risk assessed to ensure that the safety for all student and employees. In addition the following is important.
- All dry chemicals labelled with GHS08 and GHS06 should always be weighted out and solubilised in a hood (a closed system). Similarly, liquid chemicals with such labelling should also be pipetted out and diluted in a hood. Ensure to always consider if it is not technically possible to replace carcinogenic, mutagenic, toxic for reproduction (CMR)-chemicals.
- Subsequent use of solutions made from chemicals labelled GHS08 and GHS06 should be according to the risk assessment. Risk assessment must also consider the labelling/risk of the end product – according to ECHA guidelines. All such solution must be labelled with GHS08 and/or GHS06 if classification not are changed .
- Ensure that all chemical spills are removed.
- Ensure that you know how to work safely with chemicals when pregnant or in reproductive age. Pregnant women should not be exposed to substances that are carcinogenic, mutagenic or harmful to genes or reproductive ability in any way (CMR substances).
- Ensure that you know how to handle accidents and how to safely dispose hazardous waste. Have a preparedness plan if exposed to chemicals listed below.
- If you accidently are exposed to chemical you are obliged to speak up. Using chemicals labelled GHS08 or GHS06 outside a fume hood is adverse event. Report adverse event.
- Health hazard linked to GHS06 and GHS08 chemicals (H-phrases):
- May cause cancer (carcinogenic), genetic effects(mutagenic) and/or toxic for reproduction: H340, H350, H360, H360FD, H360Fd, H360Df)
- Suspected to causing cancer (carcinogenic), genetic effects(mutagenic) and/or toxic for reproduction: H341, H351, H361, H361f, H361d, H361fd)
- May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled (H334)
- Toxic/Deadly if inhaled. (H330, H331)
- Toxic/Deadly if swallowed/skin contact. (H310/H311, H300/H331)
- Target organ toxicity – Single Exposure, Specific target organ toxicity (H370), Repeat Exposure (H371) or chemicals that caused irritation or nosia (H335, H336)
- The substance is an active substance in biocidal or plant protection products (need work permit fra Matilsynet
- All users of lead and solutions containing lead must have regular health check (coordinated by BHT)
- Ensure that you protect the environment against exposure to chemical that are toxic or harmful for the environment (labelled H400-H413).