Date and place of birth/death
- Dahl was born on 12th October, 1931 in Mandal, a little town on the south coast of Norway.
- Due to his illness - lymphatic cancer - he died on 29th June ,2002, at Asker, Norway.
- His father and males relatives on both sides were captains with long traditions going back to the sailing vessels which traveled all over the world.
- His mother was an intelligent woman that played the piano but with little formal education who stayed at home as housewife and mother throughout her life.
- Dahl had a brother and a sister nine and fourteen years younger than him respectively.
- He married in 1963 with Tove Torghet.
- 1942-1957, MS in Numerical Mathematics, University of Oslo.
- In 1952 Dahl began his work at the Norvegian Defense Research Establishment NDRE under the leadership of Jan Garwick, the founding father of Norwegian informatics.
- In 1963 Dahl left the NDRE and joined Nygaard Kristen at NR (Norwegian Computing Centre) which was a semi-governmental research institute.
- In 1968 Ole-Johan Dahl was invited to be a full professor to create the discipline of computer science at the University of Oslo.
Published Oct. 10, 2013 10:19 AM