PhD Research Fellowships in Informatics
The Department of Informatics (IFI) at the University of Oslo (UiO) seeks well qualified applicants for 7 PhD research fellowship positions. Application deadline is April 18th.
Projects proposals I co-supervise:
- Ontology learning and text mining for Healthcare
- Ontology templates: Design pattern macros for large scale ontology development
Please send me an email (ernesto [.] jimenez [.] ruiz [at] gmail [.] com) if you are interested in applying.
My research has covered several areas, including bio-medical information processing and integration, ontology reuse, ontology versioning and evolution, ontology alignment, and text mining. I have also designed novel algorithmic techniques and developed java-based tools to serve as a proof of concept of the conducted theoretical research.
I got the doctor degree with honors in Computer Science from the University Jaume I of Castellon (Spain) under the supervision of Dr. Rafael Berlanga Llavori (University Jaume I) and Dr. Bernardo Cuenca Grau (University of Oxford). The Jaume I University awarded a Premio extraordinario de doctorado (roughly translated as a Extraordinary Doctoral Award) to my doctoral thesis (Engineering category 2010-2011). During my PhD I visited several leading institutions in the UK, including the Text Mining Group at the European Bio-informatics Institute in Cambridge; the Information Management Group at University of Manchester; and the Oxford University Computing Laboratory (now Department of Computer Science).
In January 2011, I joined the Information Systems group (University of Oxford, UK) led by Prof. Georg Gottlob and Prof. Ian Horrocks as a Research Assistant to work in the EPSRC project LogMap. Later in 2012 I worked as a researcher in the FP7 IP project Optique.
In May 2015 Alessandro Solimando, a PhD student from the University of Genoa I was co-supervising together with Prof. Giovana Guerrini, defended his thesis on "Change Management in the Traditional and Semantic Web"
In September 2016 I moved to Oslo to work as a researcher in the Centre for Scalable Data Access (SIRIUS) and the Logic and Intelligent Data (LogID) group led by Prof. Arild Waaler and Prof. Martin Giese, respectively.
- Solimando, Alessandro; Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto & Guerrini, Giovanna (2017). Minimizing Conservativity Violations in Ontology Alignments: Algorithms and Evaluation. Knowledge and Information Systems. ISSN 0219-1377. . doi: 10.1007/s10115-016-0983-3
- Soylu, Ahmet; Giese, Martin; Schlatte, Rudolf; Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto; Kharlamov, Evgeny; Özcep, Özgür; Neuenstadt, Christian & Brandt, Sebastian (2017). Querying industrial stream-temporal data: An ontology-based visual approach. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments. ISSN 1876-1364. 9(1), s 77- 95 . doi: 10.3233/AIS-160415
- Achichi, Manel; Cheatham, Michelle; Dragisic, Zlatan; Euzenat, Jerome; Faria, Daniel; Ferrara, Alfio; Flouris, Giorgos; Fundulaki, Irini; Harrow, Ian; Ivanova, Valentina; Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto; Kuss, Elena; Lambrix, Patrick; Leopold, Henrik; Li, Huanyu; Meilicke, Christian; Montanelli, Stefano; Pesquita, Catia; Saveta, Tzanina; Shvaiko, Pavel; Splendiani, Andrea; Stuckenschmidt, Heiner; Todorov, Konstantin; Trojahn, Cassia & Zamazal, Ondrej (2016). Results of the ontology alignment evaluation initiative 2016 . CEUR Workshop Proceedings. ISSN 1613-0073. 1766, s 73- 129
- Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto; Cuenca Grau, Bernardo Cuenca & Cross, Valerie V. (2016). LogMap family participation in the OAEI 2016 . CEUR Workshop Proceedings. ISSN 1613-0073. 1766, s 185- 189
- Kharlamov, Evgeny; Brandt, Sebastian; Giese, Martin; Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto; Kotidis, Yannis; Lamparter, Steffen; Mailis, Theofilis P.; Neuenstadt, Christian; Özcep, Özgür; Pinkel, Christoph; Soylu, Ahmet; Svingos, Christoforos; Zheleznyakov, Dmitriy; Horrocks, Ian; Ioannidis, Yannis; Möller, Ralf & Waaler, Arild (2016). Enabling semantic access to static and streaming distributed data with optique: demo, In Avigdor Gal; Matthias Weidlich; Vana Kalogeraki & Nalini Venkasubramanian (ed.), Proceedings of the 10th ACM International Conference on Distributed and Event-based Systems, DEBS '16, Irvine, CA,USA, June 20 -24. ACM Press. ISBN 978-1-4503-4021-2. Chapter. s 350 - 353
- Kharlamov, Evgeny; Mailis, Theofilis P.; Bereta, Konstantina; Bilidas, Dimitris; Brandt, Sebastian; Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto; Lamparter, Steffen; Neuenstadt, Christian; Özcep, Özgür; Soylu, Ahmet; Svingos, Christoforos; Xiao, Guohui; Zheleznyakov, Dmitriy; Calvanese, Diego; Horrocks, Ian; Giese, Martin; Ioannidis, Yannis; Kotidis, Yannis; Möller, Ralf & Waaler, Arild (2016). A Semantic Approach to Polystores, In James Joshi (ed.), Proceedings 2016 IEEE International Conference on Big Data. IEEE. ISBN 978-1-4673-9005-7. KAPITTEL. s 2565 - 2573
- Soylu, Ahmet; Giese, Martin; Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto; Kharlamov, Evgeny; Schlatte, Rudolf; Neuenstadt, Christian; Özcep, Özgür; Lie, Hallstein; Klungre, Vidar Norstein; Brandt, Sebastian & Horrocks, Ian (2016). Ontology-based Visual Querying with OptiqueVQS: Statoil and Siemens Cases . CEUR Workshop Proceedings. ISSN 1613-0073. 1818