Hanne Cecilie Geirbo
My research is informed by Science and Technology Studies (STS), Information Systems research (IS), Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), and anthropology of technology and infrastructure. I am particularly interested in how infrastructures not only facilitate societal functions but also shape societies. Another key research interest is solar electricity systems in rural and urban environments. In my Ph.D. thesis, I have written about the development of a solar electricity mini-grid in a village in Bangladesh.
In the project “InfraData: Infrastructuring Internet of Things for public governance” (funded by the Norwegian Research Council) I research how Internet of Things, such as sensors embedded in urban environments, inform and shape processes of governance.
In the project “Learning Flexibility – Complexity, innovation and inter-urban knowledge transfer,” I am exploring cases of innovative solutions to urban problems, focusing on responses to energy crises. I am also a part of the project “Hug the streets,” which explores the possibilities and challenges of planting and maintaining trees in city streets. Both projects came out of the Norwegian Research Council’s Idea lab “Cities that work” in 2016.
I also participate in the project SMART (Sustainable Market Actors for Responsible Trade), doing research on the lifecycle of mobile phones, and contributing to the understanding of sustainable technology design. The SMART project is funded by European Union’s Horizon 2020 progamme.
I have a master’s degree (cand.polit.) in social anthropology from University of Oslo, and have previously worked in international development and telecom. My regional focus area is South Asia.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2013). The ambiguous photocopy machine - a story about designing for development . IRIS Selected Papers of the Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia. ISSN 1891-9863. s 119- 133
- Geirbo, Hanne C (2011). The Community Power concept: mitigating urban–rural digital divide with renewable energy mini grids . IRIS Selected Papers of the Information Systems Research Seminar in Scandinavia. ISSN 1891-9863. (2), s 173- 182
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2016). Configuring electricity moralities - from a solar mini-grid pilot in Bangladesh.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2016). Hjemmet som strømprodusent.
- Harboe, Lisbet; Hoelscher, Kristian; Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie; Petersen, Sobah Abbas & Christie, Ingrid Nytun (2016). Hvilken vei skal byene gå? . Dagsavisen. ISSN 1503-2892.
- Hoelscher, Kristian; Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie; Ingrid, Christie; Petersen, Sobah Abbas & Harboe, Lisbet (2016, 18. oktober). Hvilken vei skal byene gå?. Dagsavisen.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2015). Forbrukernes rolle i utvikling av smart teknologi.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2015). Solar powered village electrification based on mobile network infrastructure - experiences from a pilot project in Bangladesh.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2015). Å planlegge for bærekraft - erfaringer med å bygge et solcelledrevet mini-grid i Bangladesh.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2014). Research and village politics - reflections on positionality and embodiment in action research.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2014). Solcelledrevne strømnett i utviklingsland - fra planlegging til drift.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2013). Elektrifisering gjennom mobilnettverk - erfaringer fra et pilotprosjekt i Bangladesh.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2013, 29. mai). Fabrikkbrannen i Savar - om klesbransjen i Bangladesh. [Radio]. NRK - Dagsnytt 18.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2013, 01. mars). Intervju om den politiske situasjonen i Bangladesh. [Radio]. Sveriges Radio - Studio 1.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2013). Mobile electricity - a study of the development of a village electricity grid.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2013). Mobile towers as electricity hubs - studying the emergence of an infrastructure.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie & Aanestad, Margunn (2013). Community Power taking place - studying the implementation and redesign of a village electricity grid in Bangladesh.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie; Bakken, Vebjørn & Selj, Josefine Helene (2013). Mobil kraft. Dagens næringsliv. ISSN 0803-9372.
- Ruud, Arild Engelsen & Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2013). Ideologisk strid og politisk undergang? Bangladesh mot valg.
- Bakken, Vebjørn; Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie & Braa, Kristin (2012). Community power project in Bangladesh.
- Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie; Bakken, Vebjørn & Braa, Kristin (2012). Leveraging mobile network infrastructure for rural electrification - experiences from an ongoing pilot project in Bangladesh.
- Wilhite, Harold Langford; Elverhøi, Anders; Bakken, Vebjørn; Winther, Tanja; Braa, Kristin & Geirbo, Hanne Cecilie (2012). Social impacts of electricity in rural areas.