- PhD Research Fellow in Ultrasonics/Elastography, deadline 18 Dec 2015
- PhD Research Fellow "Non-invasive monitoring of intracranial pressure from transcranial acoustic signals", deadline 1 March 2016
- PhD Research Fellow "Centre for Innovative Ultrasound Solutions," spring 2016
I am a professor of signal processing at the University of Oslo and a member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences. Our group is part of "Centre for Innovative Ultrasound Solutions (CIUS)" - a centre for research-based innovation.
Apart from that I probably have too many interests. In addition to medical imaging with ultrasound and shear waves (elastography), that includes indoor positioning with ultrasound, history and philosophy of science, data analysis for climate, audio/HiFi/audio coding, and ham radio.
Invited presentation, Am. Inst. Ultrasound in Med., "Processing the data twice: Minimum variance as an alternative to geometry-based beamforming", New York, NY, 17-21 March 2016.
Invited keynote, IEEE/OES China Ocean Acoustic Symposium, "Wave propagation in marine sediments expressed by fractional wave and diffusion equations," 9.-11. Jan 2016, Harbin, China.
Invited presentation, Acoust. Soc. Am. fall meeting, "Four interpretations of temporal memory operators in the wave equation," Nov. 2-6, 2015, Jacksonville, FL, USA
Physical Review Paper in collaboration with an international team of 10 coauthors: "Bridging Three Orders of Magnitude: Multiple Scattered Waves Sense Fractal Microscopic Structures via Dispersion," August 2015.
Dabbling in climate data analysis with "Prudence in estimating coherence between planetary, solar and climate oscillations", Astrophys. Space Sci., May 2015. Most figures in this paper and its predecessor can be generated by this open source software.
Member of editorial board of "Progress in Fractional Differentiation and Applications", 2015
Invited keynote International Symposium on Fractional PDEs: Theory, Numerics and Application, June 3 - 5, 2013, Salve Regina University, Newport RI, USA.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation Conference 2012-2015. In 2012 and 2013 I also lead industry panel debates at the IPIN conferences.
Publications by Academic Interest
My current research is in ultrasound. wave propagation, and sound. Special focus is on new methods for medical imaging such as elastography. The main publications in each field of interest are:
- Wave propagation in complex media in medical ultrasound and elastography and description with fractional derivatives. The image above, with Peter Näsholm, is from the article "New cancer detection method right around the corner", February 2013 - also on Science Daily (c).
- Medical ultrasound imaging and beamforming
- Ultrasound real time location systems
- Starting 2014 I am a board member of Audio Engineering Society, Norway and here are some audio publications
- Medical signal analysis (intracranial pressure signals)
- Nothing I have published has ever gotten the publicity that my work on climate data analysis got. Follow the link and you will also find the Matlab software I used for the analysis.
Demos and Software from the DSB Group
- Acoustic radiation force visualization. Notice how the force can both push as well as pull. (YouTube video by Fabrice Prieur)
- Here are some videos showing the fractional derivative of functions like the exponential function, the power function, and the sine function. They were developed by Vikash Pandey.
- The best demonstration of a fractional derivative physical device is capacitor soakage or dielectric absorption. Here's a YouTube video I made showing this effect.
- Real-time GPU simulator for ultrasound fields, "Huygens on Speed" (YouTube video by Jon Petter Åsen)
- Theremin controlled by ultrasound rangefinder (YouTube video by Eirik Renton)
- Ultrasound-based thermometer (YouTube video by Martin A. Brinkmann)
- Touch sensitive blackboard (YouTube video)
- Try our applet for optimization of a sparse array's layout. Can you make it to the hi-score list?
- You may download our interactive program, Ultrasim, a Matlab toolbox for ultrasound field simulation.
- Climate data analysis software (also mentioned above).
Videos from spin-off and collaborating companies
- Elliptic Labs: Touchless Gesture
- Squarehead Technology:
- Sonitor Technologies: Real Time Location Systems