- Weak ubiquitous energy release events on the Sun.
- The outer atmospheres of Sun-like stars in contrast to Sun
- Stellar Activity and inter-planetary space weather
- Star-planet interaction
I completed my 5yr Integrated BS-MS degree for the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research - Thiruvananthapuram (IISER-TVM), India. I completed my PhD in Solar Physics under Dr. Divya Oberoi at the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics - Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (NCRA-TIFR). The thesis was titled: "Metrewave High Dynamic Range Snapshot Spectroscopic Imaging Studies of Weak Coronal Events"
My PhD research involved developing pipelines for reduction, calibration, analysis, cataloging and handling of large volumes of radio interferometric data using CASA and Python. I worked with the data from a new generation radio array, Murchison Widefield Array (MWA), a precursor to the Square Kilometer Array (SKA), as part of the MWA - Solar Heliospheric and Ionospheric (SHI) group. My PhD thesis presented the first calibrated high cadence images from MWA and the first science results from it. The results included the discovery of new modes of quasi periodic pulsations in the Solar atmosphere and a novel technique to characterize and quantify solar atmospheric turbulence, both at sites of weak energy release phenomena. Here at RoCS, I'll mainly explore the atmospheric activity in other Sun-like stars keeping Sun as a template.
- Max Hammond Student Travel Grant Award, awarded by AGU to the student with a high ranking abstract in the Space Physics and Aeronomy Section.
- CNR Rao Foundation prize, awarded by IISER-TVM to the outstanding student in the 1stÂ semester of BS-MS Programme.
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow
- Aug 2009 - Aug 2014:Â INSPIRE Fellow (Funded by Dept. of Science and Technology, Ministry of Human Resource and Development,Govt. of India)
- May - July 2011: SRFP (Summer Research Fellowship), Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), Chennai, India
- May - July 2013: DAAD WISE Scholarship (Worked at JW Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany)
- Aug 2014 - Aug 2019:Â PhD Research Scholar at NCRA-TIFR
- Mondal, S., Oberoi, D., Mohan, A. 2020, First Radio Evidence for Impulsive Heating Contribution to the Quiet Solar Corona, ApJL, 895, L39 (https://arxiv.org/pdf/2004.04399.pdf)
- Mohan, A., McCauley, P., Oberoi, D. & Mastrano, A. 2019, A Weak Coronal Heating Event Associated with Periodic Particle Acceleration Episodes, ApJ, 883, 45 (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1902.10426.pdf)
- Mohan, A., Mondal, S., Oberoi, D. & Lonsdale, C. 2019, Evidence for Super Alfvénic oscillations in sources of Solar type III radio bursts, ApJ, 875, 98 (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1809.02588.pdf)
- Mondal, S., Mohan, A., Oberoi, D. et al., 2019, Unsupervised Generation of High Dynamic Range Solar Images: A Novel Algorithm for Self-Calibration of Interferometry Data, ApJ, 875, 97 (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1902.08748.pdf)
- Mohan, A., & Oberoi, D. 2017, 4D Data Cubes from Radio-Interferometric Spectroscopic Snapshot Imaging, SoPh, 292, 168 (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1710.10525.pdf )
- Characterisation of Solar Attenuators at GMRT, Atul Mohan, Lalit Ravindra Chaudhari, Gaurav Parekh & Divya Oberoi
- Characterisation of Common Box Power Monitors at GMRT, Atul Mohan, Gaurav Parekh & Divya Oberoi