I am interested in why animals do as they do and how we as humans affect them. This places me somewhere in between ecology, physiology, toxicology and animal behavioural science. My academic interests also expand into literature, philosophy and ethics. I am currently writing a PhD thesis about how contaminants affect seabirds of the Antarctic and Arctic, and what makes some seabirds more or less sensitive to contaminants compared to others.
Penguins are the best and guano even more so. You can find my field blog from Antarctica here.
I am also involved in the Diomedes project where the goal is to use sailboats to help monitor the health of the oceans.
I am responsible for the science communication course MNKOM at the MN faculty. Here I teach science writing to bachelor- and master students, together with my team of wonderful people, every spring semester. At MNKOM we also do spin-off courses and workshops in science communication for researchers (PhDs, post docs), NGOs and research schools.
I am currently on leave from the Norwegian Environment Agency (Miljødirektoratet) where I worked with management questions in national and international monitoring of pollution, climate and nature.
My background also include studies in journalism (HiOA), editor at Argument and Masterbloggen, and project leader for science communication projects at the Norwegian Research Council.
- Board member of the Institute of Bioscience, UiO
- Board member of the Norwegian Zoology Union
- Céline Le Bohec (CNRS Monaco/IPCH Strasbourg)
- Victor Planas-Bielsa (CNRS Monaco)
- Nicholas Warner and Dorte Herzke (NILU Tromsø)
- Ian Allan and Luca Nizzetto (NIVA) (Diomedes project)
- Eckbo, Norith; Le Bohec, Celine; Planas-Bielsa, Victor; Warner, Nicholas Alexander; Schull, Quentin; Herzke, Dorte; Zahn, Sandrine; Haarr, Ane; Gabrielsen, Geir W. & Borgå, Katrine (2019). Individual variability in contaminants and physiological status in a resident Arctic seabird species. Environmental Pollution. ISSN 0269-7491. 249, s 191- 199 . doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2019.01.025
- Haarr, Ane; Hylland, Ketil; Eckbo, Norith; Gabrielsen, Geir W.; Herzke, Dorte; Bustnes, Jan Ove; Blévin, Pierre; Chastel, Olivier; Moe, Børge; Hanssen, Sveinn Are; Sagerup, Kjetil & Borgå, Katrine (2018). DNA Damage in Arctic Seabirds: Baseline, Sensitivity to a Genotoxic Stressor, and Association with Organohalogen Contaminants. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. ISSN 0730-7268. 37(4), s 1084- 1091 . doi: 10.1002/etc.4035 Show summary
- Guzzo, Matthew M.; Eckbo, Norith; Gabrielsen, Geir W.; Fisk, Aaron T.; Hylland, Ketil & Borgå, Katrine (2014). Persistent organic pollutant concentrations in fledglings of two arctic seabird species. Environmental Pollution. ISSN 0269-7491. 184, s 414- 418 . doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2013.09.007