I started my Ph.D. at CEES in October 2018 focusing on conservation genomics of the Atlantic Puffin (Fratercula arctica). In particular, I will try to resolve an extensive gap in the spatio-temporal resolution of the genomic structure of puffin populations to eventually facilitate conservation programs by building a molecular framework that allows evaluation of short- and long-term impacts of population threats.
Prior to this Ph.D. fellowship, I was a research assistant in the MedPlag group at CEES starting in 2016, and primarily acted as a laboratory technician in the ancient DNA (aDNA) laboratory, which also led to me becoming the current on-site aDNA lab-manager.
Before my time in Norway, I obtained a M.Sc. in Marine Sciences and a B.S. in Marine Biology at Hawaii Pacific University, Hawaii, USA. During my Master’s studies I gained research experience in Marine Ecology and with a focus on the community analysis of abyssal zooplankton combining traditional taxonomic identification via microscopy with a novel metabarcoding approach.
- Ottoni, Claudio; Guellil, Meriam; Ozga, Andrew; Stone, Anne; Kersten, Oliver; Bramanti, Barbara; Porcier, Stéphanie & Van Neer, Wim (2019). Metagenomic analysis of dental calculus in ancient Egyptian baboons. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 9, s 1- 10 . doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-56074-x Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Kersten, Oliver; Vetter, Eric W.; Jungbluth, Michelle J.; Smith, Craig R. & Goetze, Erica (2019). Larval assemblages over the abyssal plain in the Pacific are highly diverse and spatially patchy. PeerJ. ISSN 2167-8359. 7, s 1- 36 . doi: 10.7717/peerj.7691 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Guellil, Meriam; Kersten, Oliver; Namouchi, Amine; Bauer, Egil Lindhart; Derrick, Michael; Jensen, Anne Østergaard; Stenseth, Nils Christian & Bramanti, Barbara (2018). Genomic blueprint of a relapsing fever pathogen in 15th century Scandinavia. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 115(41), s 10422- 10427 . doi: 10.1073/pnas.1807266115 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Namouchi, Amine; Guellil, Meriam; Kersten, Oliver; Hänsch, Stephanie; Ottoni, Claudio; Schmid, Boris Valentijn; Pacciani, Elsa; Quaglia, Luisa; Vermunt, Marco; Bauer, Egil Lindhart; Derrick, Michael; Jensen, Anne Østergaard; Kacki, Sacha; Cohn Jr., Samuel; Stenseth, Nils Christian & Bramanti, Barbara (2018). Integrative approach using Yersinia pestis genomes to revisit the historical landscape of plague during the Medieval Period. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 115(50), s E11790- E11797 . doi: 10.1073/pnas.1812865115 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Kersten, Oliver; Smith, Craig R. & Vetter, Eric W. (2017). Abyssal near-bottom dispersal stages of benthic invertebrates in the Clarion-Clipperton polymetallic nodule province. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers. ISSN 0967-0637. 127, s 31- 40 . doi: 10.1016/j.dsr.2017.07.001 Show summary
- Ajani, Penelope A.; Armbrecht, Linda H.; Kersten, Oliver; Kohli, Gurjeet S. & Murray, Shauna A. (2016). Diversity, temporal distribution and physiology of the centric diatom Leptocylindrus Cleve (Bacillariophyta) from a southern hemisphere upwelling system. Diatom Research. ISSN 0269-249X. 31(4), s 351- 365 . doi: 10.1080/0269249X.2016.1260058
- Kersten, Oliver; Star, Bastiaan; Anker-Nilssen, Tycho; Strøm, Hallvard & Boessenkool, Sanne (2019). Genomic population structure of the Atlantic Puffin – insights into the species’ taxonomy.
- Kersten, Oliver (2016). Yersinia pestis genomes from medieval Europe and Asia during the 2nd plague pandemic.