My Ph.D. project, ' Occurrence, Phylogeography and effect of some gyrodactelids from freshwater fish ' started in 2007 and is planned to end by 2011.
I have earlier work as a scientist at the National Veterinary Institute of Norway on a project have intention to developed a new method to fight the introduced monogenean parasite Gyrodactylus salaris affecting a large number of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) populations.
The main focus of my work is on morphological systematics and taxonomy of different species of Gyrodactylus. One species are particularly put in focus in this study: G. thymalli infecting infecting grayling, (Thymallus thymallus). I am studying the taxonomy, systematics and phylogeography of this specie and have in this been focusing on the use of the mitochondrial cytochrome oxidase 1 (cox1/CO1). To detect species identity of the worms per host, it makes use of a genetic nuclear marker internal transcribed spacer (ITS1) region of the nuclear ribosomal DNA (rDNA) I also wants to do a study the level of reproductive isolation and local adaptation, within and between host and parasite. My work also includes experimental approaches focusing on the studies on the physiological and pathogenic effects of G. salaries. I co-operate whit my former employer National Veterinary Institute, Section for Parasitology with Parasitic approach.
- Østbye, Kjartan; Taugbøl, Annette; Ravinet, Mark; Harrod, Chris; Pettersen, Ruben Alexander; Bernatchez, Louis & Vøllestad, Leif Asbjørn (2018). Ongoing niche differentiation under high gene flow in a polymorphic brackish water threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) population. BMC Evolutionary Biology. ISSN 1471-2148. 18(14), s 1- 18 . doi: 10.1186/s12862-018-1128-y Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Pettersen, Ruben Alexander; Østbye, Kjartan; Holmen, Johannes; Vøllestad, Leif Asbjørn & Mo, Tor Atle (2016). Gyrodactylus spp. diversity in native and introduced minnow (Phoxinus phoxinus) populations: no support for "the enemy release" hypothesis. Parasites & Vectors. ISSN 1756-3305. 9(51) . doi: 10.1186/s13071-016-1306-y
- Hagenlund, Mari; Østbye, Kjartan; Langdal, Kjell; Hassve, Marius Hagen; Pettersen, Ruben Alexander; Anderson, Eric; Gregersen, Finn & Præbel, Kim (2015). Fauna crime: elucidating the potential source and introduction history of European smelt (Osmerus eperlanus L.) into Lake Storsjøen, Norway. Conservation Genetics. ISSN 1566-0621. 16(5), s 1085- 1098 . doi: 10.1007/s10592-015-0724-2
- Pettersen, Ruben Alexander; Mo, Tor Atle; Hansen, Haakon & Vøllestad, Leif Asbjørn (2015). Genetic population structure of Gyrodactylus thymalli (Monogenea) in a large Norwegian river system. Parasitology. ISSN 0031-1820. 142(14), s 1693- 1702 . doi: 10.1017/S003118201500133X
- Pettersen, Ruben Alexander; Hytterød, Sigurd; Vøllestad, Leif Asbjørn & Mo, Tor Atle (2013). Osmoregulatory disturbances in Atlantic salmon, Salmo salar L., caused by the monogenean Gyrodactylus salaris. Journal of Fish Diseases. ISSN 0140-7775. 36, s 67- 70 . doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2761.2012.01441.x
- Pettersen, Ruben Alexander; Vøllestad, Leif Asbjørn; Flodmark, Lars Erik Wilhelm & Poleo, Antonio (2006). Effects of aqueous aluminium on four fish ectoparasites. Science of the Total Environment. ISSN 0048-9697. 369, s 129- 138
- Pettersen, Ruben Alexander (2013). De siste iblant oss. Akademika forlag. ISBN 9788232100583. 146 s.