Tariku Mekonnen Gutema
I have started my PhD at CEES, Oslo University in 2014 on the behavioral ecology of the African wolf (Canis lupaster). African wolf was discovered in 2011 at two localities of the Ethiopian Highlands (Rueness et al., 2011). Formerly, this species was confused with the golden jackals Canis aureus. The genetic data revealed the Egyptian golden jackal (Canis aureus lupaster) which was once believed to be endemic to Egypt is identical with African wolf species discovered in Ethiopia, both belong to the grey wolf species complex, together with the Holarctic wolf, the Indian wolf, and the Himalayan wolf. So far, no behavioral ecology study was carried out on confirmed African wolf individuals even if some of the previously studied of golden jackal could be rather African wolf species. With this study, I aimed to study the behavioral ecology of the African wolf based on 14 VHF collared individuals in two Ethiopian Highlands ( Guassa Community Conservation Area andBorena Saynt National Park) of Ethiopia. To this data, the distinction between the golden jackal and the African wolf remains vague. For my study, blood samples will be taken and species identification will be carried out for each collared animal from the DNA sequencing. My study will focus on potential exploitative and interference competition, foraging ecology, home range and habitat use, and human-carnivore conflict.
- Tariku, M. and Abebayehu, A. 2011.The driving forces of Boye wetland degradation and its bird species composition, Jimma, Southwestern Ethiopia. Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment Vol. 3(8), ISSN 2006 – 984.
- Tariku, M., Mohammed, Y., Afework, B. and James, M. 2011. Food selection and habitat association of Starck’s hare (Lepus starcki) in Bale Mountains National Park,Ethiopia. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences, 4(7):728-734, 2011. ISSN 1996-3343/DOI:10.3923.
- Mohammed, Y., Tariku, M., Afework, B. and James, M. 2011. Food Selection and Feeding Behaviorof Giant Mole Rat (Tachyocytes macrocephalus, Ruppell, 1842) from Sanetti Plateau of Bale Mountains National Park, Ethiopia. 4(7):735-740.
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen; Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha; Alemu, Diress Tsegaye; Bekele, Afework; Sillero-Zubiri, Claudio; Marino, Jorgelina; Kasso, Mohammed; Venkataraman, Vivek V.; Fashing, Peter & Stenseth, Nils Christian (2019). Foraging ecology of African wolves (Canis lupaster) and its implications for the conservation of Ethiopian wolves (Canis simensis). Royal Society Open Science. ISSN 2054-5703. 6(9), s 1- 9 . doi: 10.1098/rsos.190772 Full text in Research Archive.
- Aticho, Abebayehu; Gemeda, Dessalegn Obsi; Feyssa, Debela Hunde; Jiru, Dereje Bekele; Beyene, Abebe; Seyoum, Dinberu; Snelder, Denyse J; Feyisa, Gudina Legese; Aynalem, Shimelis; Archibald, George & Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen (2018). Assessment of black crowned crane and wattled crane population and spatiotemporal distribution in Jimma Zone, Southwest Ethiopia. Global Ecology and Conservation. ISSN 2351-9894. 16 . doi: 10.1016/j.gecco.2018.e00459
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen; Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha; Lemma, Alemayehu; Bekele, Afework; Sillero-Zubiri, Claudio; Zinner, Dietmar; Farstad, Wenche Kristin; Arnemo, Jon Martin & Stenseth, Nils Christian (2018). Capture and immobilization of African wolves (Canis lupaster) in the Ethiopian Highlands. Journal of Wildlife Diseases. ISSN 0090-3558. 54(1), s 175- 179 . doi: 10.7589/2017-03-063
- Woldemariam, Wondimu; Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen; Morrison, Kerryn & Aticho, Abebayehu (2018). Assessment of wetland flora and avifauna species diversity in Kafa Zone, Southwestern Ethiopia. Journal of Asia-Pacific Biodiversity. ISSN 2287-884X. 11(4), s 494- 502 . doi: 10.1016/j.japb.2018.08.003
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen; Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha; Bekele, Afework; Sillero-Zubiri, Claudio; Kasso, Mohammed; Alemu, Diress Tsegaye; Venkataraman, Vivek V.; Fashing, Peter; Zinner, Dietmar & Stenseth, Nils Christian (2018). Competition between sympatric wolf taxa: an example involving African and Ethiopian wolves. Royal Society Open Science. ISSN 2054-5703. 5(5), s 1- 9 . doi: 10.1098/rsos.172207 Full text in Research Archive.
- Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha; Simeneh, Getachew; Bekele, Afework; Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen; Sillero-Zubiri, Claudio; Hill, Russell A & Stenseth, Nils Christian (2017). African wolf diet, predation on livestock and conflict in the Guassa mountains of Ethiopia. African Journal of Ecology. ISSN 0141-6707. 55(4), s 632- 639 . doi: 10.1111/aje.12399
- Buechley, Evan R.; Sekercioglu, Cagan H.; Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha; Gebremichael, Gelaye; Ndungu, James Kuria; Mahamued, Bruktawit Abdu; Beyene, Tifases; Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen & Lens, Luc (2015). Importance of Ethiopian shade coffee farms for forest bird conservation. Biological Conservation. ISSN 0006-3207. 188, s 50- 60 . doi: 10.1016/j.biocon.2015.01.011
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen (2017). Conflict between sympatric wolf taxa in the Ethiopian highlands and its conservation implications.
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen (2015). The behavioural ecology of the African wolf (Canis lupus lupaster) in the Ethiopian highlands.
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen & Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha (2014). The behavioural Ecology of the African wolf (Canis lupus lupaster) in the Ethiopian highlands.