Tariku Mekonnen Gutema
I have started my PhD at CEES, Oslo University in 2013 on the behavioral ecology of the African wolf. African wolf was discovered in 2011 at two localities of the Ethiopian highlands (Rueness et al., 2011). Formerly, this species was confused with golden jackals Canis aureus. The genetic data revealed the Egyptian golden jackal (Canis aureus lupaster) which was once believed to be endemic to Egypt is identical with African wolf species discovered in Ethiopia, both belongs the grey wolf species complex, together with the Holarctic wolf, the Indian wolf and the Himalayan wolf. So far, no behavioral ecology study is carried out on confirmed African wolf individuals even if some of the previously studied Golden jackal could be rather African wolf species. With this study, I aimed to study the behavioral ecology of the African wolf based on 14 VHF collared individuals in the Menz highlands of Ethiopia. To this data, the distinction between the Golden jackal and African wolf remains vague. For my study, blood samples will be taken and species identification will be carried out for each collared animals from the DNA sequencing. My study will focus on foraging ecology and diet of African wolf, social organization, breeding ecology and movement patterns in relation to its diet abundance. My study also will examine the potential exploitative and interference competition between the African wolf and Ethiopian wolf.
- Tariku, M. and Abebayehu, A. 2011.The driving forces of Boye wetland degradation and its bird species composition, Jimma, Southwestern Ethiopia. Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment Vol. 3(8), ISSN 2006 – 984.
- Tariku, M., Mohammed, Y., Afework, B. and James, M. 2011. Food selection and habitat association of Starck’s hare (Lepus starcki) in Bale Mountains National Park,Ethiopia. Asian Journal of Applied Sciences, 4(7):728-734, 2011. ISSN 1996-3343/DOI:10.3923.
- Mohammed, Y., Tariku, M., Afework, B. and James, M. 2011. Food Selection and Feeding Behaviorof Giant Mole Rat (Tachyocytes macrocephalus, Ruppell, 1842) from Sanetti Plateau of Bale Mountains National Park, Ethiopia. 4(7):735-740.
- Buechley, Evan R.; Sekercioglu, Cagan H.; Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha; Gebremichael, Gelaye; Ndungu, James Kuria; Mahamued, Bruktawit Abdu; Beyene, Tifases; Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen & Lens, Luc (2015). Importance of Ethiopian shade coffee farms for forest bird conservation. Biological Conservation. ISSN 0006-3207. 188, s 50- 60 . doi: 10.1016/j.biocon.2015.01.011
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen (2015). The behavioural ecology of the African wolf (Canis lupus lupaster) in the Ethiopian highlands.
- Gutema, Tariku Mekonnen & Atickem, Anagaw Meshesha (2014). The behavioural Ecology of the African wolf (Canis lupus lupaster) in the Ethiopian highlands.