My primary research interest is on connectivity and microevolutionary patterns and processes. I started working on such issues in 2000. Since then, I have worked on linking genetic data with physical and biological data in different modeling approaches in studies of several high gene flow species. The novel outcome of these papers was a better understanding of underlying mechanisms behind the observed genetic patterns; for instance, determining during which lifestage gene flow more likely occurs. Another outcome was knowledge on the extent these spatial differences are caused by ecological responses (i.e. plasticity) or local adaptations. I have also investigated mechanisms behind genetic patterns by pure ecological studies of egg density and current measurements in fjords, or behaviour data, all combined with advanced statistics.
I have been involved in and also lead (as PI) several research projects that have received funding from several sources in EU, ESF (European Science Foundation), the Norwegian Research Council (NRC), and Nordic funding sources (Nordic Council). These projects have allowed me to stay active as a researcher and to publish within my preferred fields of research. Currently, I am leading one three year international project funded by EU/Interrreg, and one project funded by the NRC, on evolutionary genetic questions related to climate changes. In addition I lead two large national projects, one of which is externally funded (KLIF) and another which is funded by the ministry of Fishery and Coastal Affairs.
I enjoy working with students. Since 2006 I have supervised three MSc students from the Universities of Oslo and Trondheim, all of which have now graduated, and two recently started from University of Oslo (UiO). I have further been involved in supervising two PhD students from UiO, which graduated in 2010, and I am the main supervisor for another ongoing PhD student from Portugal (to be graduated in 2014). Recently I am, together with colleagues, trying to build up a small marine research group at IMR Flødevigen together with University of Agder (UiA) and CEES.
- Coscia, Ilaria; Castilho, Rita; Massa-Gallucci, Alexia; Sacchi, Carlotta; Cunha, Regina L.; Stefanni, Sergio; Helyar, Sarah J.; Knutsen, Halvor & Mariani, Stefano (2018). Genetic homogeneity in the deep-sea grenadier Macrourus berglax across the North Atlantic Ocean. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers. ISSN 0967-0637. 132, s 60- 67 . doi: 10.1016/j.dsr.2017.12.001
- Delaval, Aurelien Nicolas; Dahle, Geir; Knutsen, Halvor; Devine, Jennifer Ann & Salvanes, Anne Gro Vea (2018). Norwegian fjords contain sub-populations of roundnose grenadier Coryphaenoides rupestris, a deep-water fish. Marine Ecology Progress Series. ISSN 0171-8630. 586, s 181- 192 . doi: 10.3354/meps12400
- Dornelas, Maria; Antao, Laura H.; Moyes, Faye; Bates, Amanda E.; Magurran, Anne E.; Adam, Dusan; Akhmetzhanova, Asem A.; Appeltans, Ward; Arcos, Jose Manuel; Arnold, Haley; Ayyappan, Narayanan; Badihi, Gal; Baird, Andres H.; Barbosa, Miguel; Barreto, Tiago Egydio; Bässler, Claus; Bellgrove, Alecia; Belmaker, Jonathan; Benedetti-Cecchi, Lisandro; Bett, Brian J.; Bjorkman, Anne D.; Błazewicz, Magdalena; Blowes, Shane A.; Bloch, Christopher P.; Bonebrake, Timothy C.; Boyd, Susan; Bradford, Matt; Brooks, Andrew J.; Brown, James H.; Bruelheide, Helge; Budy, Phaedra; Carvalho, Fernando; Castaneda-Moya, Edward; Chen, Chaolun Allen; Chamblee, John F.; Chase, Tory J.; Collier, Laura Siegwart; Cooper, Elisabeth J.; Cornelissen, J. Hans C.; Cotano, Unai; Crow, Shannan Kyle; Damasceno, Gabriella; Davies, Claire H.; Davis, Robert A.; Day, Frank P.; Degraer, Steven; Doherty, Tim S.; Dunn, Timothy E.; Durigan, Giselda; Hofgaard, Annika; Johannessen, Tore; Klanderud, Kari; Knutsen, Halvor & Olsen, Esben Moland (2018). BioTIME: A database of biodiversity time series for the Anthropocene. Global Ecology and Biogeography. ISSN 1466-822X. . doi: 10.1111/geb.12729 Full text in Research Archive.
- Faust, Ellika; Halvorsen, Kim Aleksander Tallaksen; Andersen, Per; Knutsen, Halvor & André, Carl (2018). Cleaner fish escape salmon farms and hybridize with local wrasse populations. Royal Society Open Science. ISSN 2054-5703. 5(3) . doi: 10.1098/rsos.171752
- Mattingsdal, Morten; Jentoft, Sissel; Tørresen, Ole K.; Knutsen, Halvor; Hansen, Michael Möller; Robalo, Joana I.; Zagrodzka, Zuzanna; Andre, Carl & Blanco Gonzalez, Enrique (2018). A continuous genome assembly of the corkwing wrasse (Symphodus melops). Genomics. ISSN 0888-7543. . doi: 10.1016/j.ygeno.2018.04.009
- Roney, Nancy; Oomen, Rebekah Alice; Knutsen, Halvor; Olsen, Esben Moland & Hutchings, Jeffrey (2018). Temporal variability in offspring quality and individual reproductive output in a broadcast-spawning marine fish. ICES Journal of Marine Science. ISSN 1054-3139. . doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsx232
- Spies, Ingrid; Hauser, Lorenz; Jorde, Per Erik; Knutsen, Halvor; Punt, André E.; Rogers, Lauren & Stenseth, Nils Christian (2018). Inferring genetic connectivity in real populations, exemplified by coastal and oceanic atlantic cod. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 115(19), s 4945- 4950 . doi: 10.1073/pnas.1800096115
- Sørdalen, Tonje Knutsen; Halvorsen, Kim Aleksander Tallaksen; Harrison, Hugo B.; Ellis, Charlie D.; Vøllestad, Leif Asbjørn; Knutsen, Halvor; Moland, Even & Olsen, Esben Moland (2018). Harvesting changes mating behaviour in European lobster. Evolutionary Applications. ISSN 1752-4571. 11(6), s 963- 977 . doi: 10.1111/eva.12611
- Thorbjørnsen, Susanna Huneide; Moland, Even; Huserbråten, Mats Brockstedt Olsen; Knutsen, Jan Atle; Knutsen, Halvor & Olsen, Esben Moland (2018). Replicated marine protected areas (MPAs) support movement of larger, but not more, European lobsters to neighbouring fished areas. Marine Ecology Progress Series. ISSN 0171-8630. 595, s 123- 133 . doi: 10.3354/meps12546
- Barth, Julia Maria Isis; Berg, Paul Ragnar; Jonsson, Per R; Bonanomi, Sara; Corell, Hanna; Hemmer-Hansen, Jakob; Jakobsen, Kjetill Sigurd; Johannesson, Kerstin; Jorde, Per Erik; Knutsen, Halvor; Moksnes, Per-Olav; Star, Bastiaan; Stenseth, Nils Christian; Svedang, Henrik; Jentoft, Sissel & Andre, Carl (2017). Genome architecture enables local adaptation of Atlantic cod despite high connectivity. Molecular Ecology. ISSN 0962-1083. 26(17), s 4452- 4466 . doi: 10.1111/mec.14207 Full text in Research Archive.