Getting to Sundvolden
For those attending any of the workshops at Finse, see also information on Getting to and from Finse.
Sundvolden Hotel is situated between Steinsfjorden and Tyrifjorden, near Oslo. Those of you travelling to Oslo by air are likely to be be landing at Gardermoen Airport (Oslo), Sandefjord Airport Torp or Moss Airport Rygge. Those flying into Rygge may refer to their website for travel information to Oslo, and see below for further travel to Sundvolden. Those travelling from Scotland may be flying into Bergen - scroll down for information.
From Gardermoen Airport and central Oslo
By bus: Transport from Gardermoen to Sundvolden Hotel is serviced by 'Askeladden' bus company. The bus (marked 'Hønefoss' in the destination display) leaves from platform 29 outside the arrivals area at the airport and stops directly at Sundvolden Hotel ('Sundvollen'). Estimated travel time is 1.5 hrs.
An alternative bus route is to go from Gardermoen to Sundvolden Hotel via downtown Oslo, with a bus change at Oslo Bus Terminal. First, take either of these services to downtown Oslo,
The Airport Express Coach (Flybussen):
- Pay on the bus (NOK 150*). Major credit cards are accepted.
- Ask for a ticket to Oslo Bus Terminal.
- Departures about every 20 minutes.
- Trip lasts about 45 minutes.
The airport express train (Flytoget):
- Buy a ticket (NOK 170*) from a ticket machine or booth. Major credit cards are accepted.
- Departures about every 20 minutes.
- Trip lasts about 20 minutes.
Regular train (NSB):
- Departs from the airport terminal.
- Cheaper (NOK 88) but few departures, see the Norwegian State Railway website for time table.
- Buy ticket from booth or on board train.
- Trip lasts about 30 minutes.
*: Students under 31, retirees and persons above 67 years of age travel at half price (valid ID needed).
If you take the train, Oslo Bus Terminal ('Bussterminalen') is next to the central train station (map).
The bus service from Oslo Bus Terminal to Sundvolden Hotel is the 'TIMEekspressen - Hønefoss -Oslo Route 4 at Nettbussen.no (destination display: 'Hønefoss', approximately 1 hour travel time). Take the bus to 'Sundvollen', very close to the hotel.
From Sandefjord Airport Torp
There are trains from Sandefjord Airport Torp to Hønefoss, changing at Drammen with a travel time of 2-3.5 hours. See the Norwegian State Railway website to plan your route and book your ticket. Please note that you can save money by booking 'minipris' tickets in advance. From Hønefoss, take TIMEekspressen Bus 4 to Sundvollen (destination display: 'Oslo Bussterminal', approximately 20 minutes travel time), very close to the hotel.
There is a direct flight from Aberdeen, Scotland, to Bergen Airport Flesland. Refer to the airport website for travel information into central Bergen. From Bergen you can take a train to Hønefoss (between 5 and 6 hours on the renowned Bergen-Oslo line). See the Norwegian State Railway website to plan your route and book your ticket. Please note that you can save money by booking 'minipris' tickets in advance. From Hønefoss, take TIMEekspressen Bus 4 to Sundvollen (destination display: 'Oslo Bussterminal', approximately 20 minutes travel time), very close to the hotel.
From Oslo/Gardermoen by Car
From Oslo city centre:
- Follow the E18 towards Drammen to Sandvika. Exit towards Hønefoss and follow the E16 to Sundvolden. Driving time is approximately 35-40 minutes
From Gardermoen Airport:
- Exit towards Nannestad and then towards Hønefoss. In Jevnaker follow the signs to Norderhov. When you reach the E16, follow the signs to Oslo. After 10km, you will reach the exit to Sundvolden. The hotel is straight ahead, after the Esso petrol station. Driving time is approximately 1 hour