Recycling at the faculty
A new system for recycling will be introduced at the MN faculty. – This is an important measure for an environmentally sustainable university, says Dean Morten Dæhlen.
Foto: Ola Sæther/Uniforum.
The new system for recycling has been introduced at the University of Oslo (UiO) since autumn 2015. Now it is the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences’ turn. Parts of the faculty have already started, but now it will be introduced to the rest of the faculty.
80 percent within the end of 2018
UiO has set a goal that we should go from 32 to 80 percent recycling within the end of 2018. We have already reached our sub goal, which stated that 50 percent of the waste should be recycled within the end of 2015.
– The University shall establish itself as a green university by addressing global environmental and climate changes through research and education. In addition, it is important to address measures to be made at campus as well to enhance our University as environmentally sustainable. Recycling is such a measure, says Dean Morten Dæhlen.
What will changes?
- All waste bins in public spaces will be replaced by new recycling stations. Waste bins in teaching premises will also be removed.
Waste bins will be removed from work places and meeting rooms.
The paper bins will not be removed, and can be used as before.
Glass and metal can only be recycled at places near mini kitchens as they need to be washed properly before thrown in the trash.
Special waste and waste disposal in laboratories
Special waste and waste disposal in laboratories will continue to follow special procedures, as before. Plastic waste disposal shall be assessed further, more information will follow.
Time schedule for introducing the new recycling system
- Saturday September 17: Sophus Lies auditorium, Kristine Bonnevies hus and the areas remaining in Niels Henrik Abels hus and Vilhelm Bjerknes’ hus.
- Tuesday September 20: Geology Building and Pharmacy Building.
Thursday September 2229th of September: Svein Rosselands hus and ZEB Building.
- Saturday 24th – Sunday 25th of September: Ole Johan Dahls hus
Saturday 24th – Sunday 25th of September1st of October: Physics Building, and Chemistry Building.
Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology (SMN) in Kristen Nygaards hus: The recycling system will be introduced in late October. More information will follow.
Do you have questions?
Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding the recycling system.