The Faculty has in collaboration with the Departments appointed a number of research groups for Strategic focus groups. Each focus group has a vision and a research plan for a topic that represents central and important problems up for discussion in the research strategies of the Departments and the Faculty. The focus groups were appointed in 2007 for a period of five years. A few of the groups have been appointed at a later date.
Top-tier research groups
Top-tier research initiatives are in the international research front and have obtained very good evaluations from national and international reviewers. The top-tier research groups have for instance obtained the title Norwegian Centre of Excellence (SFF) or Centre for Research-based Innovation (SFI).
Associated top-tier research groups are highly capable researchers who have been invited as partners into a SFF or a SFI at other faculties or institutions.
- Advanced Materials and Complex Systems (AMCS)
- Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES) - SFF
- Centre for Theoretical and Computational Chemistry (CTCC) - SFF (Oslo-part)
- Centre of Mathematics for Applications (CMA) - SFF
- CERN-related research at the University of Oslo
- Functional Energy Related Materials in Oslo (FERMiO)
- Innovative Natural Gas Processes and Products (inGap) - SFI
- Light and Electricity from Novel Semiconductors (LENS)
- Nanostructures and Functional Materials (NAFUMA)
- Operator algebras
- Part of Computational Mathematics that participate in the Center for Biomedical Computation (CBC) - SFF
- Physics of Geological Processes (PGP) - SFF
- Solar Physics
Associated top-tier research groups
- Biomedical Research Group - SFI and SFF nodes
- Networks and Distributed Systems - SFI node
- Statistics and biostatistics - partner in SFI and SFF
- The CIR-part at IBV - SFF
Emerging top-tier research groups
The emerging top-tier research groups are considered to hold great potential and should, within a five year period, be able to develop into top-tier research groups. The emerging research groups are active in their research and have a high production rate in international journals.
- Geometry and topology
- Global Infrastructures
- Laboratory for Microbial Dynamics (LaMDa)
- Petroleum systems and basin development
- Precise modeling and analysis (PMA)
- Space Technology And Research development center (STAR)
- Synthesis and Molecular Structure (SMS)
Emerging research initiatives
The establishment of emerging research initiatives is important as young ambitious researchers should be given the chance to establish their own research activity. Furthermore, there may be research areas that have societal significance, providing expert competence within a specific field, that need support or there may be senior researchers who want to change their field of research.