Career perspectives - strengthening your position for pursuing an academic career
Do you know the indicators of a promising research career? Or how to strengthen your own position to pursue an academic career? This workshop is for PhD candidates and postdoctoral fellows at the MN Faculty considering to pursue an academic researcher career.
Registration is closed
Registration deadline was 26 May. Participants will receive the Zoom link the day before the event.
If you are considering to pursue a top academic position, it is important to familiarize yourself with the characteristics, beyond scientific publications, that are needed to become a scientific leader. This will help you better understand what you are aiming for and if this is the best fit for you. It also important to identify the indicators of an excellent researcher within your field for you to make a strategic career plan.
In this workshop you will get a better understanding of what it means to hold a top academic position and get tips on how you can make a strategy to strengthen your own position. Participants will discuss the characteristics of a strong academic CV, the opportunities and training available to early career researchers at UiO and alternative career paths.
After this workshop you are able to:
- describe the benchmarks of an excellent researcher
- evaluate your own position and reflect upon what is needed to improve your academic track record
- compare the research fields and current trends in Norway and the rest of the world
- describe the requirements for becoming a professor
- identify and describe skills that is required to pursue a career outside of academia
All participants are offered a short advice on their CV by the trainer, Dr. Mette Skraastad.
- Upload you CV when registering or submit it to email@example.com no later than 26 May.
- Part 1: Main research funding schemes and agencies
- Part 2: Benchmark for academic career
- Part 3: A competitive CV
Break from 11.00-12.30
- Part 4: Becoming a scientific leader
- Part 5: Other career opportunities
- Part 6: Strategy for pursuing a career
Dr. Mette Skraastad has extensive experience in running workshops focusing on individual research grants and in pre-reviewing applications for the EU framework Horizon 2020, European Research Council, Marie Sklodowska Curie Grants and applications to the Research Council of Norway.