My research topic is particle accelerator technology. I am a post.doc. affiliated with CERN, working in the CLIC (Compact Linear Collider) project. CLIC is a proposed future electron/positron particle collider, where the energy needed for acceleration is extracted from a high-intensity electron drive beam. My focus is on Wakefield Monitors, which is a type of instrumentation used for very precise determination of the position of a beam inside accelerating structures. We test Wakefield Monitors with beam in the CLIC Test Facility 3 at CERN, and look at possible improvements. I also simulate the electromagnetic fields in the structures using the simulation code GdfidL, and simulate the beamline and beam dynamics using the code Placet.
Higher education and employment history
- 2011-2014: Ph.D. in experimental high energy physics from the University of Oslo. I was based at CERN, and studied strong beam deceleration and energy extraction in the CLIC Test Facility 3. Using a series of Power Extraction and Transfer Structures (PETS), we extracted up to 40% of the beam energy and converted it to 12 GHz RF power (up to 700 MW). I also wrote my own Particle-In-Cell (PIC) code, to study "space charge" in CLIC particle bunches. Finally I did some simulations using the codes Placet, GdfidL and MadX.
- 2008-2010: M.Sc. ('Sivilingeniør') in electronics from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), with a specialization in Multimedia Signal Processing. The M.Sc. thesis was done at CERN, with the title 'Power production experiments at the Test Beam Line in the CLIC Test Facility 3'. I followed CERN's Technical student programme in 2010.
- 2005-2008: B.Sc. in electronics from Høgskolen i Telemark (HiT).
- R. L. Lillestøl, "Collective effects and experimental verification of the CLIC drive beam and decelerator", Ph.D. thesis, the University of Oslo, 2014.
- R. L. Lillestøl, S. Döbert, E. Adli and M. Olvegård, "Electron beam deceleration measurements using the decelerator test beam line in the Compact Linear Collider test facility", Phys. Rev. ST Accel. Beams 17, 031003 (2014).
- R. L. Lillestøl. "Power production experiments at the Test Beam Line in the CLIC Test Facility 3", M.Sc. thesis, The Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 2010.
- Lillestøl, Reidar Lunde; Döbert, S.; Adli, Erik & Olvegård, M. (2014). Electron beam deceleration measurements using the decelerator test beam line in the Compact Linear Collider test facility. Physical Review Special Topics. Accelerators and Beams. ISSN 1098-4402. 17(3) . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.17.031003
- Olvegård, Maja; Adli, Erik; Andreazza, William; Bolzon, Benoit; Bravin, Enrico; Chritin, Nicolas; Dabrowski, Anne E.; Döbert, Steffen; Duraffourg, Michel; Lefevre, Thibaut; Lillestøl, Reidar Lunde & Ziemann, Volker (2013). Beam profile monitoring at the test beam line at the Compact Linear Collider test facility. Physical Review Special Topics. Accelerators and Beams. ISSN 1098-4402. 16(8) . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.16.082802
- Lillestøl, Reidar Lunde (2014). Collective effects and experimental verification of the CLIC drive beam and decelerator.