Eirik Gottschalk Ballo
PhD candidate on the VIKINGS project (Volcanic Eruptions and their Impacts on Climate, Environment, and Viking Society in 500–1250 CE)
The main objective of the PhD thesis is to analyse climatic and environmental changes during the last two millennia with a focus on 500-1250 by using lake sediment archives as a proxy for past environmental changes. Ultimately, this project seeks to resolve how volcanic eruptions and their environmental impacts facilitated societal changes during the Viking Era. By learning from past volcanic eruptions we may be able to predict future climatic, environmental, and societal impacts.
- Climate proxies
- Lake sediments
- Environmental and climatic effects of volcanism.
- Societal effects of climate change
- Master of Science, Geoscience, University of Oslo, 2017
- East Asian Studies, Sophia University Tokyo, 2014/2015
- Bachelor of Science, Geoscience, University of Oslo, 2014
- INQUA 2019, 25-31 July 2019, Dublin, Ireland
- Ballo, Eirik Magnus Gottschalk; Augland, Lars Eivind; Hammer, Øyvind & Svensen, Henrik (2019). A new age model for the Ordovician (Sandbian) K-bentonites in Oslo, Norway. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. ISSN 0031-0182. 520, s 203- 213 . doi: 10.1016/j.palaeo.2019.01.016