- Stratospheric/tropospheric ozone
- Vegetation-ozone interaction in a changing climate
- Ozone dry deposition
- Very short-lived ozone depleting substances (VSLS)
- Polar boundary layer: bromine explosions and ozone depletion
- Jan 2018 – present: Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo
- Modeling of ozone inflicted damage to the vegetation in northern Scandinavia under climate change using OsloCTM3, WRF, Do3SE.
- 2015 – 2017: PostDoc, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- Simulations regarding the interaction of climate processes and atmospheric chemistry using the chemistry climate model EMAC (ECHAM/MESSy).
- Analysis of various aspects regarding future influence of brominated VSLS on ozone depletion.
- Modeling of Arctic bromine explosions within the framework of EMAC and comparison with in-situ ozone and satellite BrO column retrievals.
- 2014: PhD in Astroparticle Physics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- 2011: Physics Diploma, Karlsruhe
- Secretary at UiODoc, Interest organization for PhDs and Postdocs at the University of Oslo (Mai 2018 - present)
Find me at LinkedIn
Update and evaluation of the ozone dry deposition in Oslo CTM3 v1.0
Publication date Nov 08 2019 Geosci. Model Dev.
Abstract High concentrations of ozone in ambient air are hazardous to the whole ecosystem. The impact of ozone-induced damage on vegetation and agricultural plants in combination with advancing climate change may affect food security in the future. The process of dry deposition is important for predicting and understanding the observed surface ozone concentrations. We have updated the dry deposition scheme in Oslo CTM3 to a more process-based parameterization and assess the effect on modeled ozone.
Polar boundary layer bromine explosion and ozone depletion events in the chemistry–climate model EMAC v2.52: implementation and evaluation of AirSnow algorithm
Publication date Mar 28 2018 Geosci. Model Dev.
Abstract Ozone depletion events (ODE) in the polar boundary layer are observed frequently in spring. ODE serve as source of tropospheric BrO at high latitudes. A treatment of bromine release and recycling on sea ice and snow covered surfaces has been implemented in global chemistry-climate model EMAC based on scheme of Toyota et al. (2011). Many aspects of bromine enhancement and associated ODE are reproduced in both polar regions. Further bromine release mechanisms can now be tested in a global model.
Brominated VSLS and their influence on ozone under a changing climate
Publication date Sep 25 2017 Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics
Abstract Brominated very short-lived source gases (VSLS) contribute significantly to the tropospheric and stratospheric bromine loading. We find an increase of future ocean-atmosphere flux of brominated VSLS of 8–10 % compared to present day. A decrease in the tropospheric mixing ratios of VSLS and an increase in the lower stratosphere are attributed to changes in atmospheric chemistry and transport. Bromine impact on stratospheric ozone at the end of the 21st century is reduced compared to present day.
- Falk, Stefanie & Søvde, Ole Amund (2019). Update and evaluation of the ozone dry deposition in Oslo CTM3 v1.0. Geoscientific Model Development. ISSN 1991-959X. 12(11), s 4705- 4728 . doi: 10.5194/gmd-12-4705-2019 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Falk, Stefanie (2020). Ongoing work in Double Punch Ozone Damage – OzoneLUNA – Crowberry PFT.
- Falk, Stefanie & Vollsnes, Ane Victoria (2020). Introduction of a new plant functional type in CLM/FATES: Arctic Evergreen (dwarf-)shrub.
- Falk, Stefanie; Vollsnes, Ane Victoria; Stordal, Frode; Eriksen, Aud Else Berglen & Berntsen, Terje Koren (2020). Surface Ozone in Northern Scandinavia and Implications on Local Vegetation - A Case Study. Show summary
- Vollsnes, Ane Victoria; Falk, Stefanie; Eriksen, Aud Berglen; Kapperud, Åshild Fandango; Kauserud, Håvard; Stordal, Frode & Berntsen, Terje Koren (2020). Responses to experimental ozone exposure in some native plant species from Northern Scandinavia.
- Vollsnes, Ane Victoria; Falk, Stefanie; Eriksen, Aud Else Berglen; Stordal, Frode; Kauserud, Håvard; Berntsen, Terje Koren; Emberson, Lisa D.; O’Neill, Connie & Lombardozzi, Danica (2020). The double punch: ozone and climate stresses on vegetation.
- Byre, Hanne Eline; Falk, Stefanie; Stordal, Frode & Berntsen, Terje Koren (2019). An Investigation of Source Regions Contributing to the Deposition of Reactive Nitrogen in Arctic and Boreal Areas. Show summary
- Falk, Stefanie; Stordal, Frode & Vollsnes, Ane Victoria (2019). Ozon und seine Auswirkungen auf die Vegetation in Nordskandinavien. Show summary
- Stordal, Frode; Berntsen, Terje Koren; Büker, Patrick; Falk, Stefanie; Rydsaa, Johanne Hope; Gillies, David & Vollsnes, Ane Victoria (2018). Ozone and climate stresses on sub-ARctic tundra vegetation: Modelling of stomatal fluxes in midnight sun.
- Vollsnes, Ane Victoria; Eriksen, Aud Berglen; Büker, Patrick; Kauserud, Håvard; Falk, Stefanie & Stordal, Frode (2018). Ozone stress on sub-Arctic tundra vegetation: ozone exposure experiments with daylength manipulation..
- Vollsnes, Ane Victoria; Eriksen, Aud Berglen; Falk, Stefanie; Berntsen, Terje Koren; Kauserud, Håvard; Emberson, Lisa D. & Stordal, Frode (2018). Project The double punch: ozone and climate stresses on vegetation.
- Vollsnes, Ane Victoria; Eriksen, Aud Berglen; Falk, Stefanie; Bryn, Anders; Viken, Jeanette & Stordal, Frode (2018). Ozonforurensning. Klima, vegetasjon og matproduksjon.