Postdoctoral researcher position in Northern ecohydrology
High-resolution data analysis to link hydrological connectivity and isotope biogeochemistry
Pallas - https://blogs.egu.eu/divisions/hs/2019/06/19/featured-catchment-series-pallas/
The Water, Energy and Environmental Engineering Research Unit (WE3), University of Oulu, is opening a 2-year position for a Postdoctoral researcher for research on northern ecohydrology - linking catchment connectivity to high resolution measurements. They are looking for a talented and motivated Postdoctoral scientist dedicated to combining field research and multi-scale data analysis of the water cycle.
The research aims are to better understand variation in ecohydrological connectivity and biogeochemical processes in sub-arctic catchment. The work utilizes several on-going high-frequency measurements (fdom, water isotopes, eddy covariance, etc.) and high resolution unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) based datasets.
- PhD in hydrology, environmental engineering, soil science, ecology, geography or a related field of environmental sciences
- Broad understanding of hydrological processes and biogeochemical processes is advantageous
- Strong and demonstrated data analysis and numerical skills, and knowledge from programming languages such as R, Python, Matlab, etc.
- Strong English language skills both in oral and written communication
- Ability to work both independently and with different research groups and teams
- Good track-record of scientific publishing in top journals of the research field
The salary is in accordance with the University salary system (for teaching and research personnel) level 5 of the demand level chart (postdoctoral researcher). In addition to the basic salary, supplementary salary will be given for personal achievement and performance, the sum rising to a maximum of 50 % of the basic salary level for the post. Typical salary for a starting postdoctoral fellow is 3,300 €.
How to apply
Applications, together with all relevant enclosures, should be submitted online by March 31st, 2020 at 23:59 (Finnish local time). The duration of the position is 2 years, beginning on 1st of June 2020 (or as soon as possible thereafter). A six-month trial period will be effective in the beginning of a contract.
Further details are available from
Assistant professor Hannu Marttila (hannu.marttila(at)oulu.fi)