LATICE is hiring a postdoctoral researcher
Vacancy: Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Earth System Modelling – representation of high latitude vegetation.
The successful candidate will work in the LATICE (“Land-ATmosphere Interactions in Cold Environments”) research group, dedicated to improve our knowledge on cold environment processes and their representation in Earth System Models (ESMs). With a focus on terrestrial systems at high latitudes, the Postdoc will contribute new knowledge and improved model representation of high latitude vegetation and its interactions with the wider physical environment, including snow-vegetation interactions.
The appointment is a fulltime position and is for a period of up to four years (25 % of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching activities). Starting date no later than 01.10.2020.
The candidate will interact with model developers within LATICE and contribute to model testing and improvements (own field or lab work is optional). Focus will be on large-scale (regional) model development/sensitivity analyses in the boreal/arctic zone. The work is expected to form an integrating base for land surface modeling within LATICE. Two vegetation modules are used within the group; the default vegetation module in CLM5 with fixed vegetation distribution and CLM5-FATES, with prognostic simulation of vegetation distribution and a detailed description of vegetation demography. Another modelling platform is Shyft, a distributed hydrological model that is used to develop and test parameterizations for a variety of processes.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in Earth Sciences, or a related discipline; e.g., a PhD in Physics or Mathematics with experience in the earth sciences.
- Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date
- Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defense are eligible for appointment
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English is required
The successful candidate should further demonstrate:
- Technical expertise in scripting (e.g. Python, R) or programming (e.g. C, FORTRAN)
- Knowledge of large data analysis and visualization tools
- Ability and willingness to participate in interdisciplinary research
- Evidence of creativity and capability of independent research
- Salary NOK 523 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (position code 1352)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Professionally stimulating working environment
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Postdoctoral development programmes
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
For more detail and application, please visit : https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/182307/postdoctoral-research-fellow-in-earth-system-modelling-representation-of-high-latitude-vegetation
Deadline for application
10th March 2020