Instructions on how to install the Oracle client
Installation of Oracle client
In order to access an Oracle database from a Windows machine, an Oracle client needs to be installed. The Oracle client installation files are located at P:\site\oracle. To install the client (on Win7 64bit):
- Open a 'cmd'-window with 'Run as administrator'. Fill in the administrator credentials. Make sure the the M- and P-drives are mounted properly
- Navigate to P:\site\oracle\Client_<version>\<version>\client
- Run setup.exe
- Choose 'Administrator' as the 'Installation type'. For the 'Installation location' use C:\oracle. In the 'Summary' window, click 'Install'
- Click 'Close' to fullfill the installation
After installation, the client needs to be configured:
- Login as the user who will access the database
- Navigate to Start -> All Programs -> Oracle - OracleClient<version>_home1 -> Configuration and Migration tools -> Net Configuration Assistant
- Login with administrator credentials
- Select 'Local Net Service Name configuration' and click 'Next'
- Select 'Add' and click 'Next'
- Enter the service name. This is usually in the form of <a certain name>.uio.no (see below).
- Select 'TCP' and click 'Next'
- Enter the hostname and the port number (see below) and click 'Next'.
- You could test the connection, but this is not necessary.
- For the net service name, choose the default and click 'Next'
- Click 'Next' several times until finished.
- Finally, send an e-mail to email@example.com to register the IP-addresse of the user's machine for accessing the necessary database service (GEOPRD.UIO.NO)
Services at the Department of Geosciences, UiO