Instructions on how to install the Oracle client
Installation of Oracle client
In order to access an Oracle database from a Windows machine, an Oracle client needs to be installed, patched and setup.
Everything you need are located at \\lagringshotell\geofag\admin\it\Programmer\Oracle\Oracle18.
Installing the client:
- Make sure you have administrator privileges.
- Navigate to \\lagringshotell\geofag\admin\it\Programmer\Oracle\Oracle18 and copy that folder on to your computer (e.g. C:\temp)
- Run setup.exe located in the client folder
- Choose 'Administrator' as the 'Installation type'. For the 'Installation location' use C:\oracle. In the 'Summary' window, click 'Install'
- Choose windows built in user
Installing the patch
The installation of the patch is a bit cumbersome, but should work fine if the steps below are followed.
- Rename the Opatch folder in the oracle client installation folder to Opatch.old, it should be located in something like: C:\oracle\client\local_user\product\18.0.0\client_1
- Then to the same location (Client_1) copy the opatch folder you got from lagringshotell
- Now you are ready to run the patching tool located in the Oracle18 folder
- First you need to remove all settings of ORACLE_HOME from the global enviroment variables if present, as well as from path.
- Then run CMD as administrator and set ORACLE_HOME manually: set ORACLE_HOME = "the location of client_1 folder"
- Then while still in CMD navigate to the location of the patching tool which should be located at something like: C\temp\Oracle18\DB-Patch\29859180.
- When you are in that catalog enter: %ORACLE_HOME%\Opatch\opatch apply.
- Most likely it will give an error the first time indicating a problem with some dll's, note which one it is as well as the location and temporary move these dll's to another temporary folder outside of C\Oracle.
- Repeat step 6 and 7 again and it should now finish successfully.
- Move the dll's back to their original location.
- Set ORACLE_HOME in system environment variable as well as TNS_ADMIN if not present. TNS_ADMIN should be set to ...client_1\network\admin.
After installation, the client needs to be configured:
- Login as the user who will access the database
- locate the files LDAP.ORA and sqlnet.ora located in the Oracle18 folder and copy them to the following location "Oracle install location"...\client_1\network\admin. Press replace.
- Navigate to Start menu-> Oracle - OraClient18home1 -> Net Configuration Assistant
- Login with administrator credentials
- Select 'Local Net Service Name configuration' and click 'Next'
- Select 'Add' and click 'Next'
- Enter the service name. This is usually in the form of <a certain name>.uio.no (see below).
- Select 'TCP' and click 'Next'
- Enter the hostname and the port number (see below) and click 'Next'.
- You could test the connection, but this is not necessary.
- For the net service name, choose the default and click 'Next'
- Click 'Next' several times until finished.
- Finally, send an e-mail to email@example.com to register the IP-addresse of the user's machine for accessing the necessary database service (GEOPRD.UIO.NO)
Possible issues with the Kingdom software
When upgrading a kingdom project using oracle database there could be issues for other users to access the project. This is related to an issue with inheritance of rights. In that case check that the group that should have access to the project indeed has access to all subfolders and files.
Services at the Department of Geosciences, UiO