Instructions on how to install the Oracle client
Installation of Oracle client
In order to access an Oracle database from a Windows machine, an Oracle client needs to be installed, patched and setup.
Everything you need are located at \\lagringshotell\geofag\admin\it\Programmer\Oracle\Oracle18.
Installing the client:
- Make sure you have administrator privileges.
- Navigate to \\lagringshotell\geofag\admin\it\Programmer\Oracle\Oracle18 and copy that folder on to your computer (e.g. C:\temp)
- Run setup.exe located in the client folder
- Choose 'Administrator' as the 'Installation type'. For the 'Installation location' use C:\oracle. In the 'Summary' window, click 'Install'
- Choose windows built in user
Installing the patch
The installation of the patch is a bit cumbersome, but should work fine if the steps below are followed.
- Rename the Opatch folder in the oracle client installation folder to Opatch.old, it should be located in something like: C:\oracle\client\local_user\product\18.0.0\client_1
- Then to the same location (Client_1) copy the opatch folder you got from lagringshotell
- Now you are ready to run the patching tool located in the Oracle18 folder
- First you need to remove all settings of ORACLE_HOME from the global enviroment variables if present, as well as from path.
- Then run CMD as administrator and set ORACLE_HOME manually: set ORACLE_HOME = "the location of client_1 folder"
- Then while still in CMD navigate to the location of the patching tool which should be located at something like: C\temp\Oracle18\DB-Patch\29859180.
- When you are in that catalog enter: %ORACLE_HOME%\Opatch\opatch apply.
- Most likely it will give an error the first time indicating a problem with some dll's, note which one it is as well as the location and temporary move these dll's to another temporary folder outside of C\Oracle.
- Repeat step 6 and 7 again and it should now finish successfully.
- move the dll's back to their original location.
After installation, the client needs to be configured:
- Login as the user who will access the database
- locate the files LDAP.ORA and sqlnet.ora located in the Oracle18 folder and copy them to the following location "Oracle install location"...\client_1\network\admin. Press replace.
- Navigate to Start menu-> Oracle - OraClient18home1 -> Net Configuration Assistant
- Login with administrator credentials
- Select 'Local Net Service Name configuration' and click 'Next'
- Select 'Add' and click 'Next'
- Enter the service name. This is usually in the form of <a certain name>.uio.no (see below).
- Select 'TCP' and click 'Next'
- Enter the hostname and the port number (see below) and click 'Next'.
- You could test the connection, but this is not necessary.
- For the net service name, choose the default and click 'Next'
- Click 'Next' several times until finished.
- Finally, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to register the IP-addresse of the user's machine for accessing the necessary database service (GEOPRD.UIO.NO)
Services at the Department of Geosciences, UiO