Extremely large/super-size eruptions and their impacts on the i) polar (SSW), and ii) tropical (QBO) atmosphere
- CESM2(WACCM6) model runs (i.e., 100 and 1050 Mt SO2 injections, next to HCL and HBr) (Brenna et al 2019 ACPD; Brenna et al in prep)
- Observational based data: tephra, Singapore radiosonde, ERA5, SPARC climatology
Method: Data analyses:
- Atmospheric circulation changes, annular modes, SSW, and the QBO, and the Asian monsoon
- TEM analysis of wave mean flow interaction
- Is the QBO impacted?
- How is the regional and temporal evolution of this impact > tephra?
- How is the Asian Monsoon impacted?
- How is the polar vortex impacted?
- Which annular mode response do we get?
- Are Sudden Stratospheric Warmings (SSW) impacted?