10 points to consider when working with chemicals
Chemicals are used in almost every lab at IBV. All use of chemicals that are classified as hazardous must be risk assessed to ensure the safety of all students and staff. In addition the following is important:
- All dry chemicals labelled with GHS08 and GHS06 should always be weighed out and dissolved in a fume hood (a closed system). Similarly, liquid chemicals with the same labelling should be measured and diluted in a fume hood. Always consider whether it is possible to replace chemicals that are carcinogenic, mutagenic and/or toxic for reproduction (CMR chemicals).
- Subsequent use of solutions made from chemicals labelled GHS08 and GHS06 should be according to the risk assessment. Risk assessment must also consider the labelling/risk of the end product – according to ECHA guidelines. All such solutions must be labelled with GHS08 and/or GHS06 if classification is not changed .
- Ensure that all chemical spills are safely removed and disposed.
- Ensure that you know how to work safely with chemicals when pregnant or in reproductive age. Pregnant women should not be exposed to substances that are carcinogenic, mutagenic or harmful to genes or reproductive ability in any way (CMR substances).
- Ensure that you know how to handle accidents and how to safely dispose hazardous waste. Have a preparedness plan if exposed to chemicals listed below.
- If you accidently are exposed to chemical you are obliged to speak up. Using chemicals labelled GHS08 or GHS06 outside a fume hood is adverse event. Report adverse event.
- Health hazard linked to GHS06 and GHS08 chemicals (H-phrases):
- May cause cancer (carcinogenic), genetic effects(mutagenic) and/or toxic for reproduction: H340, H350, H360, H360FD, H360Fd, H360Df)
- Suspected to causing cancer (carcinogenic), genetic effects(mutagenic) and/or toxic for reproduction: H341, H351, H361, H361f, H361d, H361fd)
- May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled (H334)
- Toxic/Deadly if inhaled. (H330, H331)
- Toxic/Deadly if swallowed/skin contact. (H310/H311, H300/H331)
- Target organ toxicity – Single Exposure, Specific target organ toxicity (H370), Repeat Exposure (H371) or chemicals that caused irritation or nosia (H335, H336)
- The substance is an active substance in biocidal or plant protection products (need work permit fra Matilsynet
- All users of lead and solutions containing lead must have regular health check (coordinated by BHT)
- Ensure that you protect the environment against exposure to chemical that are toxic or harmful for the environment (labelled H400-H413).