As an ecotoxicologist my research focuses on understanding mechanisms and processes for contaminant distribution, accumulation and effects in the environment. This includes the influence of food web ecology, migration, life history traits, and biogeochemistry on (re)distribution of contaminants in the context of a changing climate. It also includes how climate change and other stressors affect the organism's response to contaminant exposure.
Research in the Borgå research group is oriented towards understanding processes of bioaccumulation in Arctic, temperate and tropical marine food webs, and effects of multiple stressors on life history traits, both in field and in lab. Chemicals of interest include both legacy and emerging contaminants, including neonicotinoids and substances from electronic waste. See links to current projects for further info.
Current PhD projects
Sabrina Schultze: Sabrina studies the effect of terrestrial dissolved organic matter in combination with toxicants on coastal marine zooplankton.
Silje Marie Kristansen: Silje studies how life history traits in springtails are shaped by climatic variables, while also exposed to increased stress by an anthropogenic pollutant (neonicotinoids) as a part of the project MULTICLIM.
- Ruus, Anders; Allan, Ian; Bæk, Kine & Borgå, Katrine (2021). Partitioning of persistent hydrophobic contaminants to different storage lipid classes. Chemosphere. ISSN 0045-6535. 263 . doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.127890 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Andvik, Clare; Jourdain, Eve; Ruus, Anders; Lyche, Jan Ludvig; Karoliussen, Richard & Borgå, Katrine (2020). Preying on seals pushes killer whales from Norway above pollution effects thresholds. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 10 . doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-68659-y Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Jourdain, Eve; Andvik, Clare Margaret; Karoliussen, Richard; Ruus, Anders; Vongraven, Dag & Borgå, Katrine (2020). Isotopic niche differs between seal and fish-eating killer whales (Orcinus orca) in northern Norway. Ecology and Evolution. ISSN 2045-7758. 10(9), s 4115- 4127 . doi: 10.1002/ece3.6182 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Lode, Torben; Heuschele, Jan David; Andersen, Tom; Titelman, Josefin; Hylland, Ketil & Borgå, Katrine (2020). Contrasting Effects of Predation Risk and Copper on Copepod Respiration Rates. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. ISSN 0730-7268. 39(9), s 1765- 1773 . doi: 10.1002/etc.4804 Full text in Research Archive.
- Mazzoni, Michela; Ferrario, Claudia; Bettinetti, Roberta; Piscia, Roberta; Cicala, Davide; Volta, Pietro; Borgå, Katrine; Valsecchi, Sara & Polesello, Stefano (2020). Trophic Magnification of Legacy (PCB, DDT and Hg) and Emerging Pollutants (PFAS) in the Fish Community of a Small Protected Southern Alpine Lake (Lake Mergozzo, Northern Italy). Water. ISSN 2073-4441. 12, s 1- 17 . doi: 10.3390/w12061591 Full text in Research Archive.
- Giebichenstein, Julia; Gopakumar, Anjali; Varpe, Øystein; Andersen, Tom; Gabrielsen, Geir W. & Borgå, Katrine (2020). Seasonal Variation of Mercury in an Arctic Marine Food Web.
- Gopakumar, Anjali & Borgå, Katrine (2020). Mercury Accumulation in fishes from North-East and North-West Barents Sea during the polar night.
- Konestabo, Heidi Sjursen; Birkemoe, Tone; Leinaas, Hans Petter; van Gestel, Cornelis A.M. & Borgå, Katrine (2020). How does a widely used neonicotinoid affect the soil fauna under natural field conditions?.
- Nipen, Maja; Bohlin-Nizzetto, Pernilla; Borgen, Anders; Borgå, Katrine; Jørgensen, Susanne Jøntvedt; Mmochi, Aviti John; Mwakalapa, Eliezer Brown; Schlabach, Martin; Vogt, Rolf David & Breivik, Knut (2020). Spatial trends of chlorinated paraffins and dechloranes in soil and air from Tanzania.
- Ruus, Anders; Bæk, Kine; Rundberget, Thomas; Allan, Ian; Beylich, Bjørnar; Vogelsang, Christian; Schlabach, Martin; Götsch, Arntraut; Borgå, Katrine & Helberg, Morten (2020). Environmental Contaminants in an Urban Fjord, 2019. NIVA-rapport. 7555. Full text in Research Archive. Show summary