Marcella Orwick Rydmark
Yersinia enterocolitica (Y. entercolotica) is a bacterium involved in a number of food-borne diseases, including diarrhea, which is estimated to kill up to 1.5 million children each year in the developing world. In order for infection to occur, Y. enterocolitica produces a protein, YersiniaAdhesin A (YadA) that sticks to the host tissues and promotes colonization. In this project, we are determining the structure of the YadA anchor domain to better understand how host adherence occurs. Normally, protein structural projects are done outside of the cell. However, I am using cutting edge techniques in solid state NMR to allow to study this protein for the first time within the cell, at atomic detail.
Additionally, I am interested in the study of nano-sized lipid-polymer nanoparticles (termed SMALPs or native nanodiscs) and their applications in biochemical and structural studies, as well as how we can form and manipulate their morphology.
- Chauhan, Nandini; Hatlem, Daniel; Rydmark, Marcella Orwick; Schneider, Kenneth; Flötenmeyer, Matthias; Van Rossum, Barth-J; Leo, Jack Christopher & Linke, Dirk (2019). Insights into the autotransport process of a trimeric autotransporter, Yersinia Adhesin A (YadA). Molecular Microbiology. ISSN 0950-382X. 111(3), s 844- 862 . doi: 10.1111/mmi.14195
- Michalik, Marcin; Rydmark, Marcella Orwick; Habeck, Michael; Alva, Vikram; Arnold, Thomas & Linke, Dirk (2017). An evolutionarily conserved glycine-tyrosine motif forms a folding core in outer membrane proteins. PLoS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 12(8) . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0182016 Full text in Research Archive.
- Rydmark, Marcella Orwick; Arnold, Thomas & Linke, Dirk (2016). The use of detergents to purify membrane proteins. Current Protocols in Protein Science. ISSN 1934-3655. 2016, s 4.8.1- 4.8.35 . doi: 10.1002/0471140864.ps0408s84
- Shahid, Shakeel A; Nagaraj, Madhu; Chauhan, Nandini; Franks, Trent W; Bardiaux, Benjamin; Habeck, Michael; Rydmark, Marcella Orwick; Linke, Dirk & Van Rossum, Barth-J (2015). Solid-state NMR study of the YadA membrane-anchor domain in the bacterial outer membrane. Angewandte Chemie International Edition. ISSN 1433-7851. 54(43), s 12602- 12606 . doi: 10.1002/anie.201505506
- Shahid, Shakeel; Nagaraj, Madhu; Chauhan, Nandini; Franks, Trent; Bardiaux, Benjamin; Habeck, Michael; Rydmark, Marcella Orwick; Linke, Dirk & van Rossum, Barth (2015). Festkörper-NMR-Studien an der Membrananker-Domaene von YadA in der bakteriellen Außenmembran. Angewandte Chemie. ISSN 0044-8249. 127, s 12792- 12797
- Rydmark, Marcella Orwick; Chauhan, Nandini & Linke, Dirk (2016). Structure and Dynamics of The Yersinia Adhesin A Membrane-Anchor Domain by NMR.
- Bjerregaard-Andersen, Kaare; Rydmark, Marcella Orwick & Krengel, Ute (2015). Structure determination of a bacterial adhesin.