My overall interest has long been cardio-respiratory physiology of animals, in particular fish. I have worked a lot on the whole-animal level, i.e. using methods such as respirometry to investigate the effect of different environmental factors on respiration and aerobic scope, and in air-breathing fish also the effects on partioning of oxygen uptake between water and air. In my current project, however, since moving to Oslo after my PhD studies, I am investigating the molecular mechanisms enabling the anoxia tolerant crucian carp to survive without any oxygen for extended periods of time, and in particular how they survive the stress of subsequent re-oxygenation. I have recently conducted a transcriptomics study, and hope to build on this in my future research. For example, we are currently working on a ribosomal footprint-profiling protocol. I also aim to use single-cell RNA sequencing, to further tease apart some of the many, many transcriptional changes we have observed in the brain. I have also been working on the effects of climate change on coral reef fish, and a tropical jumping snail. The research I conducted at Lizard Island on these snails was featured by the New York Times (Sciencetake), Science News (Science Ticker and It’s Alive) og Discovery Channel Canada. While my main research focus has shifted away from air-breathing fishes, the topic is still one of my interests, and I have done a few side projects on the Alaska blackfish, which even ended up on the cover of the Journal of Experimental Biology (JEB Cover). In addition to my research, I am also chair of the Norwegian Physiological Society (Norsk Fysiologisk Forening) and I am an executive officer of the Scandinavian Physiological Society. I am also a Loyal Member of the Society for Experimental Biology, and I recently started as academic editor of the journal Biology Open. Lastly, I am deputy leader of a collaborative project called "Availability and function of donor organs: Debating the dead donor rule (3DR)", lead by Kåre-Olav Stensløkken and funded by UiO Life Science. I am leading a work package aiming to uncover the mechanisms regulating hypometabolism in the crucian carp.
Higher education and employment history
- Current position: Researcher, Section for Physiology and Cell Biology (FYSCELL), Dept. of Biosciences, Univ. of Oslo, Norway
- Past position: Postdoctoral Fellow (funding from the Research Council of Norway), FYSCELL, Dept. of Biosciences, Univ. of Oslo, Norway
- Past position: Researcher (funded by a Personal Postdoctoral Fellowship from the Carlsberg Foundation, Denmark) Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo, Norway
Ph.D., Dep. Bioscience, Zoophysiology, Aarhus University, Denmark, March 14th 2012
B.Sc., Dep. Bioscience, Genetics and Ecology, Aarhus University, Denmark, June 1st 2007
Norwegian Research Council 2017 (Young Research Talent): Re-oxygenation resilience - the overlooked element of anoxic survival
Nansen Foundation, December 2015: The effects of hypoxia acclimation on the air-breathing Alaska blackfish
Nansen Foundation, December 2013: Jumping tropical snails: a model for studying effects of global change on respiratory performance in coral reef invertebrates
Individual postdoctoral fellowship, Carlsberg foundation 2013-2014: Regulation of apoptosis in anoxic crucian carp
Company of Biologists (section Journal of Experimental Biology), March-April 2013: The importance of air-breathing for Alaska blackfish Dallia pectoralis
Company of Biologists (through Society of Experimental Biology), March-April 2013: The importance of air-breathing for Alaska blackfish Dallia pectoralis
Experience from abroad
- Experimental work during PhD study: “Oxygen requirements of the two air-breathing fish Pangasianodon hypophthalmus and Channa striata”, Can Tho City, Vietnam, 21 months in total
- Experimental work during BSc study: “Morphology, visitation and pollen deposition in Cordia globosa and Morinda citrifolia, two common Caribbean shrubs”. The Commonwealth of Dominica (The West Indies), 5 months
8. Sjannie Lefevre, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Tobias Wang, Nguyen Thanh Phuong, Mark Bayley (2012) Effects of hypoxia on the rise in metabolism and partitioning of oxygen uptake during digestion in the air-breathing fish Channa striata. Aquaculture 364–365, pp. 137–142.
7. Sjannie Lefevre, Frank B Jensen, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Tobias Wang, Nguyen Thanh Phuong, Mark Bayley (2012) Haematological and ion regulatory effects of nitrite in the air-breathing snakehead fish Channa striata. Aquatic Toxicology 118-119, pp. 48-53.
6. Angela Fago, Frank B. Jensen, Bruno Tota, Martin Feelisch, Kenneth R. Olson, Signe Helbo, Sjannie Lefevre, Daniele Mancardi, Anna Palumbo, Guro K. Sandvik, Nini Skovgaard (2012) Integrating nitric oxide, nitrite and hydrogen sulfide signaling in the physiological adaptations to hypoxia: A comparative approach. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A 162(1), pp. 1-6.
5. Sjannie Lefevre, Frank B Jensen, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Tobias Wang, Nguyen Thanh Phuong, Mark Bayley (2011) Effects of nitrite exposure on functional haemoglobin levels, bimodal respiration, and swimming performance in the facultative air-breathing fish Pangasianodon hypophthalmus. Aquatic Toxicology 104, pp. 86-93.
4. Sjannie Lefevre, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Nguyen Thi Kim Ha, Tobias Wang, Nguyen Thanh Phuong, Mark Bayley (2011) A telemetry study of swimming depth and oxygen level in a Pangasius pond in the Mekong Delta. Aquaculture 315, pp. 410-413.
3. Sjannie Lefevre, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Tobias Wang, Nguyen Thanh Phuong, Mark Bayley (2011) Hypoxia tolerance and partitioning of bimodal respiration in the striped catfish (Pangasianodon hypophthalmus). Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A 158(2), pp. 207-214.
2. Nguyen Huong Thuy, Lam Anh Tien, Phuong Nguyen Tuyet, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Nguyen Van Cong, Mark Bayley, Tobias Wang, Sjannie Lefevre (2010) Critical oxygen tension increases during digestion in the perch Perca fluviatilis. Journal of Fish Biology 76, pp. 1025-1031.
1. Tobias Wang, Sjannie Lefevre, Do Thi Thanh Huong, Nguyen Van Cong, Mark Bayley (2009) Impact of hypoxia on growth and digestion. In: Fish Physiology vol. 27 Hypoxia (eds. J.G. Richards, A. P. Farrell, C. J. Brauner), pp. 363-397. Academic Press / Elsevier.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2019). Effects of high CO2 on oxygen consumption rates, aerobic scope and swimming performance, In Martin Grosell; Philip L. Munday; P. Farrell & Colin J. Brauner (ed.), Carbon Dioxide. Elsevier. ISBN 978-0-12-817609-2. 6. s 195 - 244
- Thomsen, Mikkel T; Lefevre, Sjannie; Nilsson, Göran Erik; Wang, Tobias & Bayley, Mark (2019). Effects of lactate ions on the cardiorespiratory system in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). American Journal of Physiology. Regulatory Integrative and Comparative Physiology. ISSN 0363-6119. 316(5), s R607- R620 . doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00395.2018 Full text in Research Archive.
- Lefevre, Sjannie; McKenzie, David J. & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2018). In modelling effects of global warming, invalid assumptions lead to unrealistic projections. Global Change Biology. ISSN 1354-1013. 24(2), s 553- 556 . doi: 10.1111/gcb.13978 Full text in Research Archive.
- Riggs, Claire L.; Summers, Amanda; Warren, Daniel E.; Nilsson, Göran Erik; Lefevre, Sjannie; Dowd, Wesley W.; Milton, Sarah L. & Podrabsky, Jason E. (2018). Small non-coding RNA expression and vertebrate anoxia tolerance. Frontiers in Genetics. ISSN 1664-8021. 9:230, s 1- 22 . doi: 10.3389/fgene.2018.00230 Full text in Research Archive.
- Lefevre, Sjannie; McKenzie, David J. & Nilsson, Göran E. (2017). Models projecting the fate of fish populations under climate change need to be based on valid physiological mechanisms. Global Change Biology. ISSN 1354-1013. 23(9), s 3449- 3459 . doi: 10.1111/gcb.13652 Full text in Research Archive.
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Stecyk, Jonathan Anthony William; Torp, May-Kristin; Løvold, Lisa Yuen; Sørensen, Christina; Johansen, Ida Beitnes; Stensløkken, Kåre-Olav; Couturier, Christine Stephanie; Sloman, Katherine A. & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2017). Re-oxygenation after anoxia induces brain cell death and memory loss in the anoxia-tolerant crucian carp. Journal of Experimental Biology. ISSN 0022-0949. 220(21), s 3883- 3895 . doi: 10.1242/jeb.165118 Full text in Research Archive.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2016). Are global warming and ocean acidification conspiring against marine ectotherms? Are meta-analysis of the respiratory effects of elevated temperature, high CO2, and their interaction. Conservation Physiology. ISSN 2051-1434. 4(1) . doi: 10.1093/conphys/cow009
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Bayley, Mark & Mckenzie, David J. (2016). Measuring oxygen uptake in fishes with bimodal respiration. Journal of Fish Biology. ISSN 0022-1112. 88(1), s 206- 231 . doi: 10.1111/jfb.12698
- Mckenzie, David J.; Axelsson, Michael; Chabot, Denis; Claireaux, Guy; Cooke, Steven J.; Corner, Richard A.; De Boeck, Gudrun; Domenici, Paolo; Guerreiro, Pedro M.; Hamer, Bojan; Jørgensen, Christian; Killen, Shaun S.; Lefevre, Sjannie; Marras, Stefano; Michaelidis, Basil; Nilsson, Göran Erik; Peck, Myron A.; Perez-Ruzafa, Angel; Rijnsdorp, Adriaan D.; Shiels, Holly A.; Steffensen, John F.; Svendsen, Jon C.; Svendsen, Morten B. S.; Teal, Lorna R.; van der Meer, Jaap; Wang, Tobias; Wilson, Jonathan M.; Wilson, Rod W. & Metcalfe, Julian D. (2016). Conservation physiology of marine fishes: state of the art and prospects for policy. Conservation Physiology. ISSN 2051-1434. 4(1) . doi: 10.1093/conphys/cow046
- Nilsson, Göran Erik & Lefevre, Sjannie (2016). Physiological challenges to fishes in a warmer and acidified future. Physiology. ISSN 1548-9213. 31(6), s 409- 417 . doi: 10.1152/physiol.00055.2015
- Regan, Matthew D.; Turko, Andy J.; Heras, Joseph; Andersen, Mads Kuhlmann; Lefevre, Sjannie; Wang, Tobias; Bayley, Mark; Brauner, Colin J.; Huong, Do Thi Thanh; Phuong, Nguyen Thanh & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2016). Ambient CO2, fish behaviour and altered GABAergic neurotransmission: Exploring the mechanism of CO2-altered behaviour by taking a hypercapnia dweller down to low CO2 levels. Journal of Experimental Biology. ISSN 0022-0949. 219(1), s 109- 118 . doi: 10.1242/jeb.131375
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Findorf, Inge; Bayley, Mark; Huong, Do Thi Thanh & Wang, Tobias (2015). Increased temperature tolerance of the air-breathing Asian swamp eel Monopterus albus after high-temperature acclimation is not explained by improved cardiorespiratory performance. Journal of Fish Biology. ISSN 0022-1112. . doi: 10.1111/jfb.12696
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Watson, Sue-Ann; Munday, Philip L. & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2015). Will jumping snails prevail? Influence of near-future CO2, temperature and hypoxia on respiratory performance in the tropical conch Gibberulus gibberulus gibbosus. Journal of Experimental Biology. ISSN 0022-0949. 218(19), s 2991- 3001 . doi: 10.1242/jeb.120717
- Cook, D.G.; Brown, Eric Joel; Lefevre, Sjannie; Domenici, Paolo & Fleng Steffensen, John (2014). The response of striped surfperch embiotoca lateralis to progressive hypoxia: Swimming activity, shoal structure, and estimated metabolic expenditure. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. ISSN 0022-0981. 460, s 162- 169 . doi: 10.1016/j.jembe.2014.07.002
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Damsgaard, Christian; Pascale, Desirae R.; Nilsson, Göran Erik & Stecyk, Jonathan Anthony William (2014). Air breathing in the Arctic: influence of temperature, hypoxia, activity and restricted air access on respiratory physiology of the Alaska blackfish Dallia pectoralis. Journal of Experimental Biology. ISSN 0022-0949. 217(24), s 4387- 4398 . doi: 10.1242/jeb.105023
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Domenici, Paolo & Mckenzie, David J. (2014). Swimming in air-breathing fishes. Journal of Fish Biology. ISSN 0022-1112. 84(3), s 661- 681 . doi: 10.1111/jfb.12308
- Wang, Tobias; Lefevre, Sjannie; Iversen, Nina K.; Findorf, Inge; Buchanan, Rasmus & Mckenzie, David J. (2014). Anaemia only causes a small reduction in the upper critical temperature of sea bass: Is oxygen delivery the limiting factor for tolerance of acute warming in fishes?. Journal of Experimental Biology. ISSN 0022-0949. 217(24), s 4275- 4278 . doi: 10.1242/jeb.104166
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Wang, Tobias; Huong, Do Thi Thanh; Phuong, Nguyen Thanh & Bayley, Mark (2013). Partitioning of oxygen uptake and cost of surfacing during swimming in the air-breathing catfish Pangasianodon hypophthalmus. Journal of Comparative Physiology. B, Biochemical, Systemic, and Environmental Physiology. ISSN 0174-1578. 183, s 215- 221 . doi: 10.1007/s00360-012-0701-8
- Watson, Sue; Lefevre, Sjannie; McCormick, Mark I.; Domenici, Paolo; Nilsson, Göran Erik & Munday, Philip L. (2013). Marine mollusc predator-escape behaviour altered by near-future carbon dioxide levels. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. ISSN 0962-8452. 281(1774) . doi: 10.1098/rspb.2013.2377
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2019). Global warming and future fish size:What can we learn from the gill-oxygen limitation hypothesis (GOLT)?.
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Lau, Gigi Yik Chee; Dahl, Helge-Andre & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2019). Crucian carp: mitochondria, anoxia and reoxygenation.
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Lau, Gigi Yik Chee; Dahl, Helge-Andre & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2019). Re-oxygenation resilience - the other aspect of the crucian carp’s anoxia tolerance.
- Lefevre, Sjannie; McKenzie, David J. & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2019). Global warming and future fish size: thoughts on the gill-oxygen limitation hypothesis.
- Dahl, Helge-Andre & Lefevre, Sjannie (2018). Protection against reperfusion injury: can insight be gained from crucian carp?.
- Haugnes, Gunhild M.; Tallaksen, Lena M.; Vogt, Rolf David; Storelvmo, Trude; Hessen, Dag Olav; Stordal, Frode; Lefevre, Sjannie; Kääb, Andreas & Uggerud, Einar (2018, 27. august). Klimaforskerne tar temperaturen på tropesommeren. [Tidsskrift]. Titan.uio.no.
- Jutfelt, Fredrik; Norin, Tommy; Ern, Rasmus; Overgaard, Johannes; Wang, Tobias; McKenzie, David J.; Lefevre, Sjannie; Nilsson, Göran Erik; Metcalfe, Neil B.; Hickey, Anthony J.R.; Brijs, Jeroen; Speers-Roesch, Ben; Roche, Dominique G.; Gamperl, A. Kurt; Raby, Graham D.; Morgan, Rachael; Esbaugh, Andrew J.; Gräns, Albin; Axelsson, Michael; Ekström, Andreas; Sandblom, Erik; Binning, Sandra A.; Hicks, James W.; Seebacher, Frank; Jørgensen, Christian; Killen, Shaun S.; Schulte, Patricia M. & Clark, Timothy D. (2018). Oxygen- and capacity-limited thermal tolerance: blurring ecology and physiology. Journal of Experimental Biology. ISSN 0022-0949. 221(1) . doi: 10.1242/jeb.169615
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2018). Are there CO2 effects on oxygen uptake as predicted by the OCLTT hypothesis?.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2018). Global warming and future fish size (or how not to interpret aerobic scope).
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2018). Global warming and future fish size: Unfounded assumptions lead to absurd predictions.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2018). Long-term hypoxia acclimation has minor effects on respiratory physiology of Alaska blackfish.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2018). Re-oxygenation resilience - the other element of the crucian carp's anoxia tolerance.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2016). Are respiratory effects of global warming and ocean acidification explained by a unifying OCLTT concept?.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2016). The transcriptomic response of crucian carp to anoxia and re-oxygenation.
- Lefevre, Sjannie (2015). Snails in the fast-lane: Physiology and Climate Change perspectives. NBS-nytt. ISSN 0801-3535. 39(4), s 20- 21
- Lefevre, Sjannie & Nilsson, Göran E. (2015). Temperature acclimation in jumping snails (Gibberulus gibberulus) reduces heart rate, but not oxygen uptake, and only marginally improves heat tolerance.
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Bayley, Mark; Mckenzie, David J. & Craig, John F. (2014). Air-breathing fishes. Journal of Fish Biology. ISSN 0022-1112. 84(3), s 547- 553 . doi: 10.1111/jfb.12349
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Stecyk, Jonathan A. W.; Torp, May-Kristin & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2014). HOW TOLERANT IS AN ANOXIA-TOLERANT VERTEBRATE?. Show summary
- Lefevre, Sjannie; Watson, Sue-Ann; Munday, Philip L. & Nilsson, Göran Erik (2014). Golbal warming: Will jumping snails prevail?.