Evgeny does AI-centered research with a particular focus on how knowledge (semantics) can enhance access and analyses of data. His work is motivated by and it is applied to the context of Industry 4.0, Knowledge Graphs, and Semantic Web. In particular, he has been working on ontology-based data access; knowledge graph construction, learning, querying, exploration, evolution, and quality management; as well as knowledge driven industrial (equipment) modelling and diagnostics.
Evgeny is an Associate Professor at the University of Oslo and a Research Scientist at the Bosch Centre for Artificial Intelligence. He previously was a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Oxford, a visiting researcher at the Universities of Oxford and Edinburgh and a researcher at the University of Bolzano and INRIA Saclay.
Evgeny's work led to 100+ publications at conferences and journals including such top tier as TODS, PVLDB, JCSS, JWS, JSW, IJCAI, AAAI, CIKM, and ISWC. His work on semantic equipment diagnostics won the best in-use paper award at ISWC'17, on industrial model management was a runner-up at ISWC'16, and on semantic access to Siemens turbine data won the best demo at ISWC'15.
Evgeny played a leading role in Oxford's participation in a large scale EU funded Optique project on end-user oriented access to industrial Big Data. He was one of the co-authors and a research co-investigator of the EPSRC grant on data analytics and the PI on several projects including an industry-funded with Siemens Corporate Technology on semantic diagnostics of complex industrial production systems and on analytics and model management.
- 2017 Best in-use paper award at ISWC’17 on Semantic Rule-Based Equipment Diagnostics. G. Mehdi, E. Kharlamov, et al.
- 2016 Runner up for the best in-use paper award at ISWC’16 on Capturing Industrial Information Models with Ontologies and Constraints. E. Kharlamov, B. Cuenca Grau, E. Jimenez-Ruiz et al.
- 2015 Best Demonstration at ISWC’15 on Semantic Access to Siemens Streaming Data: the Optique Way. E. Kharlamov, et al.
- 2012 PhD thesis mention by AI*IA (Italian association for Artificial Intelligence). My PhD thesis was selected as one of the best 3 PhD theses in Italy in the area of Artificial Intelligence defended in 2011 – 2012.
- 2011 Visiting Researcher’s Grant: Computing Laboratory, Oxford University.
- 2009 2 years grant, funded by the Webdam project to work on probabilistic XML at INRIA Saclay and Telecom ParisTech in Paris.
- 2008 IBM Best Master’s Thesis Award for research in the area of Computational Logic. Given by IBM Center for Advanced Studies, Rome, Italy.
- 2006 Scholarship by the province of South Tyrol to excellent students: a one-off stipend given to the best students of the Free University of Bozen-Bolzano.
- 2004-06 European Union’s Erasmus Mundus Grant: 2 years EU grant within European Master’s Program in Computational Logic.
- 2002, 03, 04 Scholarship of Novosibirsk State University to excellent students: a one-off yearly stipend to the best students of Mathematical Department.
- by email
- Research Scientist at Bosch Center for Artificial Intelligence, Renningen, Germany
- Senior Research Fellow, Department of Computer Science, University of Oxford, UK
- Researcher at the Free-University of Bozen-Bolzano
- Researcher at INRIA Saclay, Paris
- Soylu, Ahmet & Kharlamov, Evgeny (2019). Navigating OWL 2 Ontologies through Graph Projection. Communications in Computer and Information Science. ISSN 1865-0929. Show summary
- Kharlamov, Evgeny; Skjæveland, Martin G; Hovland, Dag; Mailis, Theofilos; Jimenez-Ruiz, Ernesto; Xiao, Guohui; Soylu, Ahmet; Horrocks, Ian & Waaler, Arild (2018). Finding Data Should be Easier than Finding Oil, In Naoki Abe; Huan Liu; Xiaohua Hu; Nesreen Ahmed; Mu Qiao; Yang Song; Donald Kossmann; Bing Liu; Kisung Lee; Jiliang Tang; Jingrui He & Jeffrey Saltz (ed.), 2018 IEEE International Conference on Big Data (Big Data), Seattle, 10-13 Dec. 2018. IEEE. ISBN 978-1-5386-5035-6. artikkel. Show summary
- Klungre, Vidar Norstein; Soylu, Ahmet; Giese, Martin; Waaler, Arild & Kharlamov, Evgeny (2018). On Enhancing Visual Query Building over KGs Using Query Logs. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. ISSN 0302-9743. 11341, s 77- 85 . doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-04284-4_6 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Soylu, Ahmet & Kharlamov, Evgeny (2018). Making Complex Ontologies End User Accessible via Ontology Projections. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. ISSN 0302-9743. 11341, s 295- 303 . doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-04284-4_20 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary