Course I teach in Spring: Programming Ubiquitous Things (IN5600)
>>> Master Thesis Topics for 2020: see here
>>> Keywords: support for programming with replication, programming of mobile devices, concurrency / parallelism, software security, algorithms for garbage collection, software adaptability.
Paulo Ferreira holds a PhD from the University of Pierre et Marie Curie (1996) in Computer Science. His MSc (1992) and BSc (1988) are both from Instituto Superior Técnico (University of Lisbon) in Electrotechnical Engineering. He holds the “ agregação ” since November 2009 from the same University and collaborates with INESC ID where he did research for several years in the Distributed Systems Group.
He has published, as author or co-author, more than 120 articles in international journals and conferences, 1 scientific book, 11 book chapters, a pedagogical book (with 3 editions, being one in Brazil), serves on various program committees (e.g. Middleware, ICDCS, DAIS, etc.), served as an expert to the European Union for assessment of projects proposals under the 7th Framework Program, led more than 15 research projects, was one of the founders and board officer of EuroSys (ACM - European Chapter of the Special Interest Group on Operating Systems) being currently member of the Steering Committee; he is also a member of the Steering Committee of the ACM/IFIP/Usenix Middleware and ACM/IFIP/Usenix Adaptive and Reflective Middleware (ARM). He is currently member of the editorial board of the Springer Journal of Internet Services and Applications.
He is senior member of ACM and IEEE, was awarded two Best Paper Awards at international events (ACM/IFIP/Usenix Middleware Conference, level A in both CORE and RADIST rankings), 1 Recognition of Service Award from ACM, his PhD thesis was top ranked at the Université Pierre et Marie Curie, and in the academic years of 2010/2011 (2nd semester) and 2013/14 (1st semester) he was awarded the mention of “excellent teaching” at the University of Lisbon in the courses of Mobile Computing (MSc, 1st year) and Operating Systems (BSc, 2nd year), respectively.
>>> PhD Thesis Supervision
Currently supervising the following PhD students:
- Mahdieh Kamalian (https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/people/aca/mahdiehk/)
- Maged Helmy (https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/people/aca/magedaa/)
- Sanaz Tavakolisomeh (https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/?vrtx=person-view&uid=sanazt)
The full list can be found in the following link:PhD Thesis
>>> Other Links
- Ferreira, Paulo; Zavgorodnii, Constantin & Veiga, Luìs (2020). edgeTrans - Edge transport mode detection. Pervasive and Mobile Computing. ISSN 1574-1192. 69 . doi: 10.1016/j.pmcj.2020.101268
- Bruno, Rodrigo; Patricio, Duarte; Simão, José; Veiga, Luìs & Ferreira, Paulo (2019). Runtime Object Lifetime Profiler for Latency Sensitive Big Data Applications, In EuroSys '19: Fourteenth EuroSys Conference 2019. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). ISBN 978-1-4503-6281-8. 28.
- Ferreira, Paulo; Zabolotny, Andriy & Barreto, João (2019). Bicycle Mode Activity Detection with Bluetooth Low Energy Beacons, In Aris Gkoulalas-Divanis; Mirco Marchetti & Dimiter R. Avresky (ed.), 2019 IEEE 18th International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications (NCA). IEEE. ISBN 978-1-7281-2522-0. kapittel.
- Ferreira, Paulo (ed.) (2018). Proceedings of the 19th International Middleware Conference. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). ISBN 978-1-4503-5702-9. 299 s.
- Ferreira, Paulo & Bruno, Rodrigo (2018). Live Migration and Garbage Collection for Big Data Java Applications.
- Ferreira, Paulo (2018). Foreword for the 19th ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware Conference, In Paulo Ferreira (ed.), Proceedings of the 19th International Middleware Conference. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). ISBN 978-1-4503-5702-9. Foreword. s 1 - 3