I am a professor of acoustic imaging and signal processing at the University of Oslo and a member of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences. Our group is part of "Centre for Innovative Ultrasound Solutions (CIUS)" - a centre for research-based innovation.
My main research interest is to understand complexity, in the sense that cosmologist and astrophysicist Martin Rees spells it out: "We can expect huge advances on three frontiers: the very small, the very large, and the very complex."
More specifically my desire is to understand the physics of wave propagation in complex media like biological tissue in the context of medical ultrasound and elastography. A special focus is on understanding why this often results in power law frequency characteristics (attenuation and dispersion), and to uncover the physical basis for non-integer (fractional) derivative descriptions of waves in these media.
Once per semester or so I am on the panel of the popular national radio show NRK P2, "Tower of Abel" answering mostly questions on acoustics in a wide sense and from time to time also commenting on the philosophy of science. I have blogged since 2010, mainly in Norwegian, but also in English.
Apart from that I probably have too many interestes. In addition to compressional and shear waves propagation, that includes indoor positioning with ultrasound, history and philosophy of science, audio/HiFi/audio coding, and ham radio.
The COST Action training school "Advantages of fractional models in dealing with real world problems", Istanbul, Turkey, Oct 8-12, 2018 is open for appplication. I will be one of nine lecturers and will give lectures about fractional models in wave propagation and applications in medical imaging and acoustics.
Invited presentation "Thermodynamically viable wave equations for power law attenuation in viscoelastic media," in session on "Impact of soft tissue inhomogeneities and bone/air on ultrasound propagation in the body,” Acoustics '17, Boston, June 2017
Invited minisymposium presentation, “Thermodynamically viable fractional wave equations for power law attenuation in viscoelastic media,” in session on “Data-Driven Fractional Modeling, Simulation and Prediction,” SIAM Conference on Computational Science, Atlanta, GA, 27 Feb-3 March 2017
Invited presentation, Am. Inst. Ultrasound in Med., "Processing the data twice: Minimum variance as an alternative to geometry-based beamforming", New York, NY, 17-21 March 2016.
Invited keynote, IEEE/OES China Ocean Acoustic Symposium, "Wave propagation in marine sediments expressed by fractional wave and diffusion equations," 9.-11. Jan 2016, Harbin, China.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Indoor Positioning and Indoor Navigation Conference 2012-. In 2012 and 2013 I also lead industry panel debates at the IPIN conferences.
The image above, with Peter Näsholm, is from the article "New cancer detection method right around the corner", February 2013 - also on Science Daily (c).
Demos and Software from the DSB Group
- The best demonstration of a fractional derivative physical device is capacitor soakage or dielectric absorption. Here's a YouTube video I made showing this effect.
- Here are some videos showing the fractional derivative of functions like the exponential function, the power function, and the sine function. They were developed by Vikash Pandey.
- Acoustic radiation force visualization. Notice how the force can both push as well as pull. (YouTube video by Fabrice Prieur)
- Real-time GPU simulator for ultrasound fields, "Huygens on Speed" (YouTube video by Jon Petter Åsen)
- Theremin controlled by ultrasound rangefinder (YouTube video by Eirik Renton)
- Ultrasound-based thermometer (YouTube video by Martin A. Brinkmann)
- Touch sensitive blackboard (YouTube video)
- Try our applet for optimization of a sparse array's layout. Can you make it to the hi-score list?
- You may download our interactive program, Ultrasim, a Matlab toolbox for ultrasound field simulation.
- Magnitude squared coherence analysis software (Climate data).
Videos from spin-off and collaborating companies
- Elliptic Labs: Ultrasound proximity technology in Xiaomi phones, Touchless Gesture
- Squarehead Technology:
- Sonitor Technologies: Real Time Location Systems
The publication list from the database Cristin is not so useful as it seems to be unable to distinguish between publications from several persons with the same name as me. Therefore it is better to use this list.
- Evensen, Karen Brastad; O'Rourke, Michael; Prieur, Fabrice Jean Gabriel; Holm, Sverre & Eide, Per Kristian (2018). Non-invasive Estimation of the Intracranial Pressure Waveform from the Central Arterial Blood Pressure Waveform in Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus Patients. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 8:4714, s 1- 11 . doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-23142-7
- Skarpengland, Tonje; Skjelland, Mona; Kong, Xiang Yi; Skagen, Karolina Ryeng; Holm, Sverre; Otterdal, Kari; Dahl, Christen Peder; Krohg-Sørensen, Kirsten; Sagen, Ellen Lund; Bjerkeli, Vigdis; Aamodt, Anne Hege; Abbas, Azhar; Gregersen, Ida; Aukrust, Pål; Halvorsen, Bente & Dahl, Tuva Børresdatter (2018). Increased levels of lectin-like oxidized low-density lipoprotein receptor-1 in ischemic stroke and transient ischemic attack. Journal of the American Heart Association. ISSN 2047-9980. 7:e006479(2), s 1- 16 . doi: 10.1161/JAHA.117.006479
- Bergh, Trond; Hafizovic, Ines & Holm, Sverre (2017). Acoustic imaging of sparse Sources with Orthogonal Matching Pursuit and clustering of basis vectors. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing. ISSN 1520-6149. s 6030- 6034 . doi: 10.1109/ICASSP.2017.7953314
- Chandrasekaran, Sri Nivas; Holm, Sverre & Prieur, Fabrice Jean Gabriel (2017). Focused ultrasound setup for the study of acoustic radiation force induced biological effects in cells. Proceedings - IEEE Ultrasonics Symposium. ISSN 1948-5719. . doi: 10.1109/ULTSYM.2017.8091996
- Chen, Wen; Fang, Jun; Pang, Guofei & Holm, Sverre (2017). Fractional biharmonic operator equation model for arbitrary frequency-dependent scattering attenuation in acoustic wave propagation. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. ISSN 0001-4966. 141(1), s 244- 253 . doi: 10.1121/1.4973865
- Gregersen, Ida; Sandanger, Øystein; Askevold, Erik Tandberg; Sagen, Ellen Lund; Yang, Kuan; Holm, Sverre; Pedersen, Turid Margrethe; Skjelland, Mona; Krohg-Sørensen, Kirsten; Hansen, Trond Vidar; Dahl, Tuva Børresdatter; Otterdal, Kari; Espevik, Terje; Aukrust, Pål; Yndestad, Arne & Halvorsen, Bente (2017). Interleukin 27 is increased in carotid atherosclerosis and promotes NLRP3 inflammasome activation.. PLoS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 12(11) . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0188387 Full text in Research Archive.
- Chandrasekaran, Sri Nivas; Holm, Sverre & Prieur, Fabrice Jean Gabriel (2017). Focused ultrasound setup for the study of acoustic radiation force induced biological effects in cells. Show summary
- Holm, Sverre (2017). New insights from applying linear viscoelasticity to acoustics.
- Holm, Sverre (2017). Thermodynamically viable fractional wave equations for power law attenuation in viscoelastic media. Show summary
- Holm, Sverre (2017). Thermodynamically viable wave equations for power law attenuation in viscoelastic media. Show summary