SD: Sustainable Futures - A Living Lab to explore sustainability in a Life Science context
The increasing climate and biodiversity crises and their implications are still not properly understood and acted upon in all the necessary political and social arenas. There is a need to create spaces in which discourses about sustainability and transitions to other forms of socioeconomic development can be researched. Design is one of the arenas in which sustainability is addressed. Activities range from more sustainable product design, more sustainable services, to Transition Design, which calls for a radical transformation of the role of design for more sustainable futures. The Sustainability & Design Lab aims to contribute to the transition towards sustainable futures through a focus on the role of design in the sustainability of artefacts and the practices that they shape.
The University of Oslo is building new Life Sciences building. We see it as our challenge to make the new building a hotspot of sustainability. New thinking is required, creating services supporting research, creativity, student innovation, and learning for sustainability. We see Transition Design as a way to integrate sustainability in the overall goals and objectives, as well as the daily activities, of the Life Sciences building. Several research questions can be developed in this context:
- How can design be used to orchestrate sustainability activities without reducing any form of innovation in a life science context?
- How has design supported sustainability and what have we learned?
- What are the effects of sustainability on life science activities and research?
- How can an academic library take the lead in creating services underpinning sustainability and how to curate this new knowledge?
- How can the library become a hub of sustainability knowledge in the university?
- What role can the library play in supporting the reuse of data, and give competence needed to do so?
- What can be the role of an academic library when several disciplines need support to include sustainability in their day to day activities?
- What kind of researchers are needed in the near future?
We will use the Informatics Library as a Living Lab to design, prototype, test, and evaluate services, product, tools, etc. supporting sustainability in the context of the Life Science building.
- Developing tools and services for sustainability awareness in the context of the new life science building.
- Possibility to test prototypes in a living lab.
- Experience that your results are used in the new life science building
- Working on actual topics relevant for the future.