UML modeling for the ABS language
The ABS language (abstract behavioral specification language) is an executable, high-level, object-oriented concurrent modelling language being developed within the European project ENVISAGE. The intended target area of the language is the modelling and analysis of evolving, updatable, and long-lived systems. In collaboratation with various European partners, the PMA group is developing a language infrastructure (compiler, Eclipse front-end, various back-ends, ...).
For visualization, documentation, and interchange, a diagrammatic UML-based approach would provide tremendous benefits. Currently, ABS programs are text files like in most other programming languages.
A prospective student would adapt the existing UML-based modeler and could work on one or more of the following topics:
- define a UML profile for ABS and wellformed-rules for ABS (e.g. in OCL)
- specialise the graphical UML editor to ABS models (e.g. only interface inheritance, not class inheritance)
- build a parser that turns textual ABS models into UML models conforming to the profile
- investigate which other UML diagrams, apart from class diagrams, could be useful
- investigate how the advanced features of ABS like delta-modeling and product lines could be modelled in the profile
- Interested in UML
- Programming/Modelling language design
- Java programming skills
- Experience with the Eclipse platform is helpful, but not required
- rCOS Modeler for UML-based development of component-based systems
- TOPCASED platform for development of critical systems.
- Eclipse Modeling