SD: Smart transport in rural areas
Transition to more sustainable transport systems in rural areas
The innovation & research project "Smart transport in rural areas", aims to develop tools and services for Mobility-as-a-Service, specially tailored for sparsely populated rural areas. The main idea is to develop a holistic system for transport planning that dynamically coordinates transport of people and goods to make the most of transport resources. In this project we are going to develop:
- services that connect transport needs and offers in a customer friendly, dynamic and optimal way
- tools that calculate cost indicators, utilisation of resources, travel and waiting time and that will over the time learn about transport needs
- a simulator that suggests changes in transport resources and transport offerings, and calculates indicators for change scenarios.
The project will contribute to reduce environmental costs of transport (Sustainable Development Goal - SDG 13) while enabling good transport services in rural areas (SDG 9), contributing to sustainable communities (SDG 11) and responsible consumption (SDG 12).
As a part of the project we are going to investigate:
- Persuasive and emphatic design for sustainability - How to motivate people towards more sustainable behaviour?
- Explainable Artificial Intelligence - How to explain the suggestions from the optimisation algorithms to humans? How to design two-way interaction between humans and artificial intelligence?
- Privacy by design - How to provide best possible services to vulnerable user groups while protecting their privacy?
- Tools for sustainable design – What have we learned from use of different design tools in sustainable design?
Mandatory courses are IN5000 and IN5010.