- Inorganic chemistry and crystallography.
- Metal oxides with fractional valences.
- Less common combinations of properties: towards halfmetallic ferromagnet.
- Relationship between structure and phase transitions into valence-controlled states: temperatures of valence mixing, of superconductivity.
- Less common compositions: carbides-oxides as pseudonitrides, nitrides-fluorides as pseudooxides.
- Oxide materials with less-common properties: high conductivity, photocatalysis.
Academic interests, methods
- Syntheses of new compounds at less-common temperature- and redox conditions.
- Precise valence control in solid oxides of transition metals.
- Structure determination from synchrotron x-ray and neutron diffraction data.
- Mössbauer spectroscopy of valence-, spin-, and coordination states (in collaboration).
- Magnetic, electric and thermal properties of inorganic solids (in collaboration).
- KJM-MENA5110/9110 - Inorganic Structural Chemistry
- KJM-MENA5130/9130 - Nonstoichiometry and phase relations of inorganic solids
- Positions related to University of Oslo: Professor, lecturer, researcher.
- Earlier positions: lecturer, University of Chemical Technology, Prague.
- Textbook of the year, 1987 (University of Chemical Technology, Prague)
- First place in national Chemistry Olympiad in Prague, 1966
- IUPAC, associated member in Division II, Inorganic Chemistry
- IUPAC, member of the Interdivisional Committee on Terminology, Nomenclature and Symbols
- International Centre for Diffraction Data, a member
- Norwegian Chemical Society, member of nomenclature committee
An extensive collaboration in Finland and USA