Summer stipends: “Renewable Energy Systems for Chile”
The Department of Technology Systems is announcing two summer stipends for students and recent graduates for the summer of 2022 to work with the EU-project AtLAST.
Panoramic view of ESO's Atacama Pathfinder Experiment telescope (APEX). Photo: ESO/B.Tafreshi /twanight.org)
The department is located at Kjeller in Lillestrøm Municipality.
The objective of the work for the summer student is to:
- retrieve information about generation, transmission and demand for the Chilean energy system
- to store the data in a manageable database
- to develop a graphical representation of the system to easily understand the whole system and its opportunities.
Chile, a country situated along the western coast of South America is characterized by the presence of the driest desert in the world, known as Atacama Desert, located in the northern area. This place gives Chile great potential to deploy photovoltaic energy. However, the energy grid of Chile still relies on fossil fuels, accounting for about 40% of electricity generation. To change this, there are several projects aiming at transitioning the Chilean energy system to be based on solar and wind energy across the country. In order to study the energy transition of Chile and to help decision-makers in deciding about new renewable projects, it is necessary to analyze the meteorological condition, energy grid and demand in Chile from an energy systems approach.
Each stipend is for 40 000 NOK for 8 weeks.
Students must be:
- Master students in Physics, Engineering, Meteorology, Computer Science, Renewable Energy Systems or similar quantitative subjects. Outstanding Bachelor students are also considered.
- Experience using Python (required).
- Experience managing databases (desired).
- Experience using graphical interfaces to represent data (desired).
The application must include:
- a short motivation letter
- transcripts from University/University College
Applications may be sent to Marit Tronstad at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark your e-mail with: Summer stipends 2022
Application deadline: 31st of January 2022