At a general level, my research interests are focused around developing and applying statistical and machine learning methods for real-world applications. Some key topics are:
Statistical machine learning
Probabilistic graphical models
Network structure learning
Computational causal inference
I completed my PhD in statistics in 2016 at Åbo Akademi University (Finland), in which I developed a new class of probabilistic graphical models, along with algorithms for learning the structure of the models from data. During 2016-2020, I worked as a postdoc at University of Helsinki (Finland), developing and applying data analysis tools, primarily for applications in bacterial statistical genomics. Since February 2020, I have been working at UiO as an Associate Professor in Statistics and Data Science.
- STK4011 - Statistical Inference Theory (Autumn 2020-22).
- STK4290 - Probabilistic Graphical Models (Spring 2021-22).
Supervision (PhD students)
- Anders Hjort (Department of Mathematics, Eiendomsverdi AS, 2020-): Uncertainty in house price prediction (Industrial PhD).
- Vera Kvisgaard (Department of Mathematics, 2021-): Bayesian estimation of causal effects using directed graphical models.
- Johan de Aguas (Department of Mathematics, Norwegian Institute of Public Health, 2022-): A Bayesian model-averaging toolkit for causal inference with observational data under nonlinear structural equations: An application to the effect of ADHD treatment on school performance by Norwegian children.
- Juri Kuronen (Department of Biostatistics, 2018-): High-dimensional structure learning of Markov networks with applications in bacterial statistical genomics.
- Ghadi Al Hajj (Department of Informatics, 2020-): Improving generalization of machine learning models in medical image and immune receptor sequence analysis through the incorporation of domain priors and constraints.
- Claudio Meggio (Department of Mathematics, CompSci, 2021-): Statistical learning methods for chemistry applications.
An overview of available Master's thesis projects can be found here.
Finnish Statistical Society - Doctoral Thesis Award (2013-2016).
For a complete list, see my profile at Google Scholar.