Mechanics and numerical modelling of structures and solids in general; stability problems; elastic and nonlinear analyses; development of code oriented analysis and design methods and design provisions for columns and frame structures; sustained, repeated and imposed loading.
- 1970, PhD (Philosophiae Doctor), Dept. of Civil Engineering, Univ. of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- 1966, Sivilingeniør (master equiv.), NTH (now NTNU (Norwegian Univ. of Science and Technology)), Trondheim.
Permanent employment positions
- 2013.2 -- Professor emeritus, UiO
- 1988.1-- 2013.2 Professor of solid/structural mechanics, UiO.
- 1984.8 --1987.12 Adjunct Professor of solid/structural mechanics , UiO.
- 1985.4--1987.12 Senior Principal Engineer, Veritas Offshore Technology and Services A/S (as Section Head of Concr. Structures and Foundations), and prior to this in the Industry and Offshore Division (Dept. for Structures), Det Norske Veritas (DNV), Høvik.
- 1972.1--1985.4 Project Engineer, Principal Engineer, Senior Principal (Chief) Engineer, Dr.ing. A. Aas-Jakobsen A/S (AAJ), Oslo.
Temporary research employment
- 1984.6-8 Research Engineer, Univ. of California, Berkeley.
- 1981.2-9 Research Associate, Univ. of Alberta, Edmonton.
- 1980.7--1981.2 Research Engineer, Univ. of California, Berkeley.
- 1966.9-1971.12 Research Assistant and Post Doctoral Fellow, Univ. of Waterloo.
Visiting professor/esearcher -- extended stays
- University of Texas, Austin, USA, Fall 1999 (Aug.-Jan.)
- Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya (UPC)), Barcelona, Spania, Fall 2001.
Selected boards, etc (past and present)
- Elected member, NTVA (Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences).
- 2012.11 -- Member, TG6 "Structural Analysis", of CEN-committee 250/SC 2/WG 1/
- 2008.11-- Editorial Board member, Journal of Constructional Steel Research.
- 2004-- Member, Int. Struct. Steel Research Advisors (ISSRA), AISC Journ.
- 1997--2001 Editorial Board member, Journal of Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering.
- 1976--1980 National Editor, Journal of the Nordic Concr. Federation.
- 1976--1998 Reporter, FIP Notes, Federation Internationale de la Precontrainte.
Undergraduate and graduate courses in solid and structural mechanics)..
-- 63 cand.scient. and master graduates.
-- 10 doctoral graduates (since 1992).
Consulting and advisory activities
1988--2006: Consulting/advisory activities for DNV, Statoil (rehabilitation of Statpipe under water bridge structures), the Bridge Department of the Directorate of Public Roads, Oslo (development of analysis and design specifications for bridges, and analysis and design aspects of a number of suspension bridges etc.) and Svenska vegverket (Høga Kusten bron).
1985--1987: At DNV, consultancy services to a number of petroleum companies, incl. design review and verification of offshore structures (Beryl A, Brent B, Maureen ALP, Gullfaks B, Troll GBS, Saga's deepwater tower Karin, etc.), development and updating of design spesifications, and various research and development projects.
1972--1985: At AAJ, design and consultancy services covering a great number and a wide range of structures, incl. industrial structures, various kinds of bridges and offshore structures, development of design recommendations for offshore structures (for the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate, Norsk Hydro), and a number of research and development oriented studies, etc..