Studies of Data Science combine mathematics, statistics and informatics and covers the whole Data Science process. This includes defining the scientific goal, obtaining the data, exploring the data, building, fitting and validating models as well as communicating and vizualising the results.
The University of Oslo offers both specialized studies within Data Science as well as a range of courses applying Data Science methodology to various fields.
From the autumn of 2017, there is a specialization towards Statistics and Data Science within the Mathematics with informatics bachelor program. Within this program the first three semesters will contain fundamental topics in mathematics, informatics and statistics while the last three semesters will be more specialised towards Data Science. The program will include both theoretical aspects and demonstrations of the methodologies in many real cases.
NEW!! From the autumn of 2018 there will be a master program in Data Science. This program will be for students with a solid background in mathematics, informatics and statistics. The program will focus on both the width and depth of various subjects. The master program has the following specializations:
- Statistics and Machine Learning
- Database Integration and Semantic Web
- Data Science and Life Science
In addition to these specialized Data Science programs, Data science related courses are offered within many other programs. Some relevant courses are seen on the right panel.
Data Science courses
- STK2100 - Machine learning and statistical methods for prediction and classification
- STK4030 - Statistical Learning: Advanced Regression and Classification
- STK-INF3000/4000 - Selected Topics in Data Science
- STK4021 - Applied Bayesian Analysis and Numerical Methods
- STK4051 - Computational statistics
- INF3100 - Database Systems
- INF5100 - Advanced database systems
- INF4171 - Logic
- INF4130 - Algoritmer: Design og effektivitet
- INF4580 - Semantic technologies
- INF4350 - Introductory Course in Bioinformatics
- INF4490 - Biologically Inspired Computing
- INF5860 - Machine Learning for Image Analysis