Data Science Day @ UiO 2021 and official opening of dScience
BigInsight, SIRIUS, DataScience@UiO and the newly established dScience centre would like to welcome the data science community to an evening of socialisation, learning and entertainment after a long hiatus.
The event will be opened by an address from the Minister of Local Government and District Policy to celebrate the grand opening of the dScience centre, followed by a panel discussion with invited participants from academia and industry.
After a short break, we will be hearing exciting talks from our invited speakers. This year, we have invited Professor Lilja Øvrelid from the Language Technology Group at UiO, and Simen Eide, PhD candidate from the Statistics and Data Science Group at UiO and Data Scientist from Finn.no, to talk us through the various challenges and opportunities in data science research and its application to real life problems. Before and after the talks, we gather in the Science Library foyer for mingling and refreshments.
Continuing the success from previous years, we invite interested parties from industry to set up stands where they can present themselves to the rest of our guests. Our goal is to bring all parts of the data science community together for a unique networking opportunity.
Data Science Day is an event for everyone, whether you are familiar with data science practices, or you are simply curious what data science is all about.
The event is free and open for all audiences. Due to the special circumstances this year, please click on the button below to register your attendance. There will be served some food, snacks and soft drinks.
Deadline: October 25
- 16:30 – Doors open, finger food and soft drinks served
- 17:30 – Opening of dScience
- An artistic touch: Fredrik Høyer, National Theatre
- Welcome by Rector Svein Stølen
- Official opening of dScience – Centre for Computational and Data Science by the Minister of Local Government and District Policy, Bjørn Arild Gram
- Data as a resource – Panel discussion with participants from academia and industry:
- Solveig Kristensen, Dean, University of Oslo leads the panel discussion
- Bjørn Jalving, Senior Vice President Technology, Kongsberg Maritime
- Liv Dingsør, Managing Director, DigitalNorway
- Mari Sundli Tveit, Chief Executive, The Research Council of Norway
- Simen Eide, PhD student at UiO, data scientist at Finn.no
- Bjørn Atle Bjørnbeth, Managing Director, Oslo University Hospital
- Svein Stølen, Rector, University of Oslo
- dScience towards 2030 by centre leader Morten Dæhlen and this evening's host Daniel Bakkelund (PhD)
- 18:25 – Short break
- 18:35 – "Why uncertainty matters in the age of deep learning and big data" by Simen Eide, PhD student from the Statistics and Data Science Group at UiO, data scientist at Finn.no
- 19:05 – "Standing on the shoulders of data: Current research in Language Technology" by Professor Lilja Øvrelid from the Language Technology Group at UiO
- 19:45 – We move to the Science Library to visit the company stands, and for socialisation and refreshments
- 21:30: Doors closing
Save the date! We are very optimistic, but there is, of course, a possibility that DataScienceDay@UiO has to be postponed due to covid-19 restrictions. Registered participants will in that case be notified. The official opening of dScience will in any case take place (with a limited number of invited guests only).