I am interested in the statistical behavior of topological defects in different kinds of non-equilibrium systems. Examples of topological defects I have studied are quantized vortices in Bose-Einstein condensates, and crystal defects in crystals undergoing deformation. In both these systems the dynamics of the entire system is dominated by the dynamics of defects, so the statistics of the defects can tell you a lot about how the system behaves on a macroscopic scale.
- http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/fys/FYS2130/index-eng.html (Spring 2015)
- http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/fys/FYS1120/index-eng.html (from Autumn 2015)
- http://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/fys/FYS3120/index-eng.html (from Spring 2016)
Master's degree in Physics, University of Oslo. I studied a long chain of interacting spin 1/2 particles, e.g. a 1D quantum Heisenberg model in a constant magnetic field. Previous work had shown that this system should contain natural oscillation frequencies due to an analogy with Bloch oscillations, called magnetic Bloch oscillations. I used a new technique called Time Evolving Block Decimation (TEBD) in order to simulate the full chain without uncontrolled approximations. I found that we could excite the predicted oscillation frequencies using a resonant laser, resulting in characteristic oscillations in the magnetization.
- Rønning, Jonas; Skaugen, Audun; Hernández-García, Emilio; López, Cristóbal & Angheluta, Luiza (2020). Classical analogies for the force acting on an impurity in a Bose-Einstein condensate. New Journal of Physics. ISSN 1367-2630. 22 . doi: 10.1088/1367-2630/ab95de
- Skaugen, Audun; Angheluta, Luiza & Vinals, Jorge (2018). Dislocation dynamics and crystal plasticity in the phase-field crystal model. Physical review B (PRB). ISSN 2469-9950. 97(5) . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.97.054113 Full text in Research Archive.
- Skaugen, Audun; Angheluta, Luiza & Vinals, Jorge (2018). Separation of Elastic and Plastic Timescales in a Phase Field Crystal Model. Physical Review Letters. ISSN 0031-9007. 121(25), s 255501-01- 255501-05 . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.255501 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Skaugen, Audun & Angheluta, Luiza (2017). Origin of the inverse energy cascade in two-dimensional quantum turbulence. Physical review. E. ISSN 2470-0045. 95(5) . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevE.95.052144 Full text in Research Archive.
- Skaugen, Audun & Angheluta, Luiza (2016). Velocity statistics for nonuniform configurations of point vortices. Physical review. E. ISSN 2470-0045. 93(4) . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevE.93.042137
- Skaugen, Audun & Angheluta, Luiza (2016). Vortex clustering and universal scaling laws in two-dimensional quantum turbulence. Physical review. E. ISSN 2470-0045. 93(3) . doi: 10.1103/PhysRevE.93.032106