Wave propagation in fluids and plasmas, nonlinear waves and turbulence.
Turbulent transport in the environment.
The importance of turbulence for the feeding processes of plankton in the oceans.
Higher education and employment history
Civil Engineer in Electronics (with amphasis on solid-state physics) from Danish Technical University, Lyngby, 1972
Lic.Techn. (equivalent of Ph.D.) in plasma physics at Risø National Laboratory, Roskilde, Denmark, 1974
Sabbatical stay at the Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, October 1979 - November 1980
Dr.Scient. at the University of Århus, Denmark on a thesis titled "Solitons and Weakly Nonlinear Waves in Plasmas" (printed as Risø Report R-534), 1986
Researcher at the Risø National Laboratory in Denmark, 1972-1991, head of the basic plasma research unit there 1981-1991
Adjoined professor (professor II) at the University of Tromsø, 1989-2001
Professor in Plasma Physics at the Department of Physics, University of Oslo, Norway, 1991-present
- Physics prize (sponsored by NKT) of the Danish Physical Society 1989 (shared with Otto Kofoed Hansen)
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 1994
- Member of the Norwegian Academy for Sciences, 1995
- Member of the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters, 1998
- At my 70 y birthday I was honoured by Physica Scripta with a "Focus issue" <http://iopscience.iop.org/journal/1402-4896/page/Focus-issue-on-Hans-Pecseli>
- Elected head of the Plasma-Space group at the Department of Physics 1994-1996 and again 2009-2012
- Head (together with Jan Trulsen) of the research goup for studies of "Turbulence in Plasmas and Fluids" 2004-2005 at the Centre for Advanced Study at the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters
- Member of the board of Physica Scripta (journal associated with IOP-publishing) <http://iopscience.iop.org/1402-4896 >
- Member of the Programme Commission for Strategic Research for Sustainable Energy and Environment, Danish Agency for Science, Technology and Innovation, 2011-2015
- Member of the international review panel for distribution of grants for the Danish H.C. Ørsted Postdoc Programme, co-funded by Marie Curie Actions,
University of Tromsø
Department of Biology, University of Bergen
Risø National Laboratory, DtU, Roskilde, Denmark