IGS Nordic Branch Meeting 2021
Welcome to The Nordic Branch Meeting of the International Glaciological Society (IGS) 2021. This year the meeting is taking place 4-6 November, in Oslo, Norway.
View over Kongsfjord with Blomstrandbreen in the background (Svalbard), June 2021. Photo: Andreas Alexander/GEO/UiO
The Nordic Branch Meeting of the International Glaciological Society (IGS) is an open meeting of glaciologists presenting and discussing their glaciological research. We encourage in particular participation by student/early-career scientists. The meeting is hosted by GeoHyd, Dept. of Geosciences, University of Oslo.
The meeting will be held in person, but it is also possible to participate remotely for the scientific sessions although presentations can only be given by participants joining in person. The deadline for registration to the branch meeting was: 15 October.
To all participants for the branch meeting!
We need all who want to attend the banquet dinner 'IGS Nordic Branch banquet - 2021' on Nov 5 to register below and pay for the banquet dinner latest by 5 Nov.
Thursday 4 November: Ice breaker
Location: NVE - Norges vassdrags- og energidirektorat (NVE), Middelthuns gate 29, 0368 Oslo; closest subway station is ‘Majorstuen’. It is a ~5 min to walk from the subway station to NVE (close to Vigelandsparken). Please make sure to be there on time since the door will then be locked (information for late arrivals will be posted on the door)
- 17:30-18:00 – Registration at NVE’s main entrance.
- 18:00-22:00 – Icebreaker & Welcome. Includes buffet dinner and drinks.
Friday 5 November
Location: Blindern Campus of University og Oslo (UiO), Georg Sverdrups Hus (GSH), Aud1, closest subway station ´Blindern´ (T4 and T5)
- 08:30-09:00 – Registration
- 09-17:30 – Scientific program (pdf)
- 18-23:00 – Banquet dinner.
- See costs for Banquet dinner below.
UiO/Campus map: https://www.uio.no/english/about/getting-around/areas/blindern/
Saturday 6 November
Location: Blindern Campus of University of Oslo, Georg Sverdrups Hus
- 08:30-09:00 – Registration
- 09-16:00 – Scientific program (pdf)
Further meeting details will be announced directly to participants.
There is no registration fee for the meeting. The icebreaker, lunches, coffee breaks are covered by an external grant from the Norwegian Research Council (NFR) and support from NVE and IGS. However, we need to take a modest fee of ~200 NOK/18 GBP to cover the costs for the banquet/dinner on Friday.
If you signed up for the banquet, please pay the fee latest by Friday 5 November HERE. The fee will not be reimbursed for no-shows.
Oslo Airport, Gardermoen / Oslo lufthavn to Oslo: you have two options:
- Flytoget / Airport Expess: every 10 minutes most of the day, 220 NOK, 20 minutes to Oslo S (central station)
- ´Normal´ train / Vy: R10, R11 or L10, every 5-10 minutes (110 NOK, 32 minutes to Oslo S - Oslo Central Station).
Note there is different tickets and ticket machines for the 2 options.
Public transportation in Oslo (https://ruter.no/):
- Subway / T-bane: Zone 1 is sufficient for travels between the venues and Oslo S - Oslo Central Station.
Any restrictions have been lifted entirely in Norway. Any remaining travel restrictions for international travel to Norway are detailed here: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/norway-to-open-all-its-border-crossings-from-october-6/
COVID rules and recommendation – stay home if you have symptoms!
Anyone who develops symptoms of a coronavirus infection should take a test and stay at home/hotel. This also applies to those who are vaccinated. You can ask us for the zoom links to follow the meeting online.
Check this official page for more information on rules and recommendations in Norway: https://www.helsenorge.no/en/coronavirus/overview-of-rules-and-recommendations/
- Liss Andreassen, NVE (email@example.com)
- Regine Hock, Univ. of Oslo (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Thomas Schuler, Univ. of Oslo (email@example.com)
Meeting information at IGS webpage: