My research interests are: Speciation, hybrid zone dynamics, mate choice and sexual selection, signal evolution, genetics of adaptive evolution and diversification. I think my way into biological sciences had two main causes. First, as long as I can remember I have been deeply fascinated by nature and in particular the natural history of birds. This “love affair” probably led me into the biological sciences when I discovered the mind-opening theories of evolution from reading popular science by masters such as Richard Dawkins. Combining essentially bird watching with intellectual challenges suddenly seemed like a splendid idea.
I have a broad taste in biology. I started my scientific career in the field of behavioral ecology under the supervision of Tore Slagsvold, studying the (behavioural) significance of plumage colour variation in the pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca) (e.g. Sætre et al. 1994, 1995). However, pretty soon evolutionary genetics became an important tool in my research. For many years speciation and hybridization in Ficedula flycatchers was my main focus of research. Highlights from these years includes a demonstration that natural selection against unfit hybrids has reinforced premating barriers among sympatric pied and collared flycatchers F. albicollis (Sætre et al. 1997) as well as work on the role of sex chromosomes in speciation (e.g. Sætre et al. 2003; Sæther et al. 2007; Sætre & Sæther 2010). More recently I have also collaborated with Håvard Kauserud and his group on phylogeography and speciation in fungi. Now my research group mainly focuses on speciation, hybridization and adaptation among Passer sparrows. A most exiting recent finding is the demonstration of hybrid origin of the Italian sparrow (Hermansen et al. 2011; Elgvin et al. 2011).
- Runemark, Anna; Fernández, Laura Piñeiro; Eroukhmanoff, Fabrice & Sætre, Glenn-Peter (2018). Genomic contingencies and the potential for local adaptation in a hybrid species. American Naturalist. ISSN 0003-0147. 192(1), s 10- 22 . doi: 10.1086/697563
- Runemark, Anna; Trier, Cassandra Nicole; Eroukhmanoff, Fabrice; Hermansen, Jo Skeie; Matschiner, Michael; Ravinet, Mark; Elgvin, Tore Oldeide & Sætre, Glenn-Peter (2018). Variation and constraints in hybrid genome formation. Nature Ecology & Evolution. ISSN 2397-334X. 2(3), s 549- 556 . doi: 10.1038/s41559-017-0437-7
- Elgvin, Tore Oldeide; Trier, Cassandra Nicole; Tørresen, Ole Kristian; Hagen, Ingerid; Lien, Sigbjørn; Nederbragt, Alexander Johan; Ravinet, Mark Simon Paul; Jensen, Henrik & Sætre, Glenn-Peter (2017). The genomic mosaicism of hybrid speciation. Science Advances. ISSN 2375-2548. 3, s 1- 16 . doi: 10.1126/sciadv.1602996 Full text in Research Archive.
- Gholamhosseini, Ali; Aliabadian, Mansour; Darvish, Jamshid; Topfer, Till & Sætre, Glenn-Peter (2017). An Expanding Hybrid Zone between Black-Headed and Red-Headed Buntings in Northern Iran. Ardea. ISSN 0373-2266. 105(1), s 27- 36 . doi: 10.5253/arde.v105i1.a5
- Sætre, Camilla Lo Cascio; Coleiro, Charles; Austad, Martin; Gauci, Mark; Sætre, Glenn-Peter; Voje, Kjetil L. & Eroukhmanoff, Fabrice (2017). Rapid adaptive phenotypic change following colonization of a newly restored habitat. Nature Communications. ISSN 2041-1723. 8(14159), s 1- 6 . doi: 10.1038/ncomms14159
- Sætre, Glenn-Peter; Cuevas Pulido, Angelica Maria; Hermansen, Jo Skeie; Elgvin, Tore Oldeide; Fernández, Laura Piñeiro; Sæther, Stein Are; Sætre, Camilla Lo Cascio & Eroukhmanoff, Fabrice (2017). Rapid polygenic response to secondary contact in a hybrid species. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Biological Sciences. ISSN 0962-8452. 284(1853) . doi: 10.1098/rspb.2017.0365 Show summary
- Eroukhmanoff, Fabrice; Rowe, Melissah; Cramer, Emily Rebecca A; Haas, Fredrik; Hermansen, Jo Skeie; Runemark, Anna; Johnsen, Arild & Sætre, Glenn-Peter (2016). Experimental evidence for ovarian hypofunction in sparrow hybrids. Avian Research. ISSN 2053-7166. 7 . doi: 10.1186/s40657-016-0038-1
- Bailey, Richard Ian; Tesaker, Maria Rundhaugen; Trier, Cassandra Nicole & Sætre, Glenn-Peter (2015). Strong selection on male plumage in a hybrid zone between a hybrid bird species and one of its parents. Journal of Evolutionary Biology. ISSN 1010-061X. 28(6), s 1257- 1269 . doi: 10.1111/jeb.12652
- Burri, Reto; Nater, Alexander; Kawakami, Takeshi; Mugal, Carina F.; Olason, Pall I.; Smeds, Linnea; Suh, Alexander; Dutoit, Ludovic; Bureš, Stanislav; Garamszegi, László Z.; Hogner, Silje; Moreno, Juan; Qvarnström, Anna; Ružić, Milan; Sæther, Stein Are; Sætre, Glenn-Peter; Török, Janos & Ellegren, Hans (2015). Linked selection and recombination rate variation drive the evolution of the genomic landscape of differentiation across the speciation continuum of Ficedula flycatchers. Genome Research. ISSN 1088-9051. 25(11), s 1656- 1665 . doi: 10.1101/gr.196485.115 Show summary
- Cramer, Emily Rebecca A; Laskemoen, Terje; Stensrud, Even; Rowe, Melissah; Haas, Fredrik; Lifjeld, Jan Terje; Sætre, Glenn-Peter & Johnsen, Arild (2015). Morphology-function relationships and repeatability in the sperm of Passer sparrows. Journal of morphology. ISSN 0362-2525. 276(4), s 370- 377 . doi: 10.1002/jmor.20346