I have a background in Natural Sciences and Marine Ecology. My current research interests focus on anthropogenic impacts on marine systems, fisheries ecology and the impacts of management measures on both the system itself and the resource users.
I am using modelling tools to address these type of questions, including population models and ecosystem models, spatial models and bioeconomic models.
In my PhD I am exploring the application of spatial management measures to Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua) in the North Sea, focusing on, but not restricting to, Marine reserves and Marine Protected Areas (MPAs). I am focusing on several aspects:
the applicability of ecosystem models (Ecopath with Ecosim) by evaluating the performance of the spatial predictions of Ecospace (the spatial routine of Ecopath with Ecosim) under varying assumptions;
the use of stock-recruitment curves that incorporates both environmental variables (such as temperature) and the spatial structure of the stock;
the management consequences of inclusion (or lack thereof) of fine-scale spatial stock structure;
the effect of MPA design on an inshore cod population in Southern Norway.
In general, I am interested in any ecological question with a focus on marine and aquatic ecology (for example, I have an interest in elasmobranch ecology and in deep water ecosystems). Furthermore, I believe that interaction between scientists of different disciplines is the avenue to advance the management of socio-ecological systems. I am therefore increasingly interested in the integration between the socio-economic and the ecological component of marine systems. I am also learning to communicate and collaborate effectively with scientists from a variety of disciplines, thanks to the multidisciplinary environment of the NorMER and CEES research groups, and to my research visit at the Dept. of Economics and Management of the University of Helsinki.
My ambition for the future is to apply these qualification and assume the role of “mediator” between disciplines, playing thus a key role in interdisciplinary research, while at the same time maintaining a focus on ecological research.
My PhD project is part of NorMER, and supervised by Prof. Nils Chr. Stenseth and Dr. Anne Maria Eikeset.
Kochalski S, Schendel C, Romagnoni G. (2013) The Ecosystem Approach and Beyond: Multidisciplinary Science for Sustainable Fishery. In: Recent Impulses to Marine Science and engineering. Einsporn HM, Wiedling J, Beilfuss S, Eds. DGM and IBCM, Hamburg, Germany
Romagnoni, G., Mackinson, S., and Eikeset, A-M. (2013). Sensitivity Analysis of Ecospace Parameters. ICES Annual Science Conference, Reykjavik, Iceland
Romagnoni, G. (2012). The Norwegian Basking Shark Sighting Project: a tool for science communication and public awareness. 16th European Elasmobranch Association Scientific Conference, Milan, Italy
Romagnoni, G. (2010). Modelling of a deep-sea ecosystem using Ecopath with Ecosim. Plymouth Marine Science Partnership (PMSP) conference, Plymouth, UK.
- Bitetto, Isabella; Romagnoni, Giovanni; Adamidou, Angeliki; Certain, Grégoire; Di Lorenzo, Manfredi; Donnaloia, Marilena; Lembo, Giuseppe; Maiorano, Porzia; Milisenda, Giacomo; Musumeci, Claudia; Ordines, Francesc; Pesci, Paola; Peristeraki, Panagiota; Pesic, Ana; Sartor, Paolo & Spedicato, Maria Teresa (2019). Modelling spatio-temporal patterns of fish community size structure across the northern Mediterranean Sea: an analysis combining MEDITS survey data with environmental and anthropogenic drivers. Scientia Marina. ISSN 0214-8358. 83(1), s 141- 151 . doi: 10.3989/scimar.05015.06A
- Holt, Rebecca Emma; Woods, P.J; Ferreira, A.S.A; Bardarson, H; Bonanomi, Sara; Boonstra, W.J; Butler, W.E; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Fouzai, Nadia; Holma, M; Kokkalis, Alexandros; Kvile, Kristina Øie; Macdonald, J.I; Malanski, Evandro; Nieminen, E; Ottosen, K.M.; Pedersen, M.W; Richter, Andries Peter; Rogers, Lauren; Romagnoni, Giovanni; Snickars, Martin; Törnroos, Anna; Weigel, Benjamin; Whittington, Jason & Yletyinen, Johanna (2017). Avoiding pitfalls in interdisciplinary education. Climate Research (CR). ISSN 0936-577X. 74(2), s 121- 129 . doi: 10.3354/cr01491
- Pedersen, Martin Wæver; Kokkalis, Alexandros; Bardarson, Hermann; Bonanomi, Sara; Boonstra, Wiebren; Butler, William E.; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Fouzai, Nadia; Holma, Maija Kristiina; Holt, Rebecca; Kvile, Kristina Øie; Nieminen, Emmi Elina; Ottosen, Katharina M.; Richter, Andries Peter; Rogers, Lauren; Romagnoni, Giovanni; Snickars, Martin; Törnroos, Anna; Weigel, Benjamin; Whittington, Jason; Woods, Pamela J.; Yletyinen, Johanna Katariina & Ferreira, Ana Sofia de Araujo (2016). Trends in marine climate change research in the Nordic region since the first IPCC report. Climatic Change. ISSN 0165-0009. 134(1), s 147- 161 . doi: 10.1007/s10584-015-1536-6
- Boonstra, Wiebren; Ottosen, Katharina M.; Ferreira, Ana Sofia de Araújo; Richter, Andries Peter; Rogers, Lauren; Pedersen, Martin Wæver; Kokkalis, Alexandros; Bárðarson, Hlynur; Bonanomi, Sara; Butler, William; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Fouzai, Nadia; Holma, Maija Kristiina; Holt, Rebecca; Kvile, Kristina Øie; Malanski, Evandro; Macdonald, Jed I.; Nieminen, Emmi Elina; Romagnoni, Giovanni; Snickars, Martin; Weigel, Benjamin; Woods, Pamela J.; Yletyinen, Johanna Katariina & Whittington, Jason (2015). What are the major global threats and impacts in marine environments? Investigating the contours of a shared perception among marine scientists from the bottom-up. Marine Policy. ISSN 0308-597X. 60, s 197- 201 . doi: 10.1016/j.marpol.2015.06.007
- Romagnoni, Giovanni; Mackinson, Steven; Hong, Jiang & Eikeset, Anne Maria (2015). The Ecospace model applied to the North Sea: Evaluating spatial predictions with fish biomass and fishing effort data. Ecological Modelling. ISSN 0304-3800. 300, s 50- 60 . doi: 10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2014.12.016
- Diekert, Florian Klaus; Eikeset, Anne Maria; Romagnoni, Giovanni & Lindroos, Marko (2017). Population specific vs undifferentiated management of North Sea cod: A bioeconomic analysis of population specific vs undifferentiated management in a changing climate: North Sea cod as a case study.
- Kluger, Lotta; Kockalski, Sophia; Müller, Miriam S.; Gorris, Phillipp & Romagnoni, Giovanni (2015). Towards an holistic analysis of social-ecological systems in the marine realm. YOUMARES. s 101- 101
- Romagnoni, Giovanni; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Eikeset, Anne Maria & Lindroos, F. (2015). Exploring population-specific management for North Sea cod meta-population.
- Romagnoni, Giovanni; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Lindroos, Marko & Eikeset, Anne Maria (2014). Spatial management strategies for populations of cod (Gadus morhua) in the North Sea.